• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia Roaches multiplying in house?

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hi,
I just talked my husband into letting me breed Dubia roaches for feeders. His friend at work who is big into snakes told him if they get loose in the house they will multiply like crazy which was his concern. Is this true? Has anyone had this problem? We have children so my concern is them letting a few loose. I would die if we had a roach infestation and my hubby would kill me. I don't want to ruin the reptiles as pets in my home!!! He is ok with crickets but not the roaches.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Where do you live? The dubias like humidity and warmth. I live in the Tucson area – warm and dry. They don't tolerate the dry very well. The odds are that they will not take over your house. Tenakee container and keep the kids out!

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well I purchased some Dubias. They will be here next week. 200 babies as feeders plus 5 adult males & 20 adult females to start breeding. If my hubby looks at them and says no way I will feed the adults to my chickens. He was in the military and lived down south were he witnessed cockroach infested houses that has scared him for life so hopefully when he sees the Dubias they won't remind him of the American cockroaches!

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
No need to worry, your friend is incorrect. They will not breed in your house. Dubia are very specific regarding the conditions where they will breed, and your house in PA is not one of them. They are a tropical forest roach, and while they can survive for awhile in your house if they get free, they cannot breed. Florida is about the only possible location that they might, and I say might, be able to find the right situation to breed in a house.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
No need to worry, your friend is incorrect. They will not breed in your house. Dubia are very specific regarding the conditions where they will breed, and your house in PA is not one of them. They are a tropical forest roach, and while they can survive for awhile in your house if they get free, they cannot breed. Florida is about the only possible location that they might, and I say might, be able to find the right situation to breed in a house.

Oh I love you thank you!!!! I am been stressed since they entered my home and you have completely set my mind at ease.

Latest posts