• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia roaches, how many and how often.?!

ZillaBest

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi.!

Okay so Zilla is now about 16 months and 18 inches nose to tip of tail. I adopted him 2 months ago now and he was already on crickets as a staple feeder. I have recently just changed this to dubia roaches and soon to be calci worms when they arrive. My question really is how many should he be eating and how often to offer live insects in a week.? He gets fresh salad daily (mainly kale, again this was what he was on when I first adopted him so gradually introducing new veg) his lighting is all new, temps are all stable at what they should be.

Thank youu.!

(pic was taken whilst mid shedding, clearly not enjoying my netflix choice haha)
20210224_154100.jpg

Zontar’s Mom

Juvenile Dragon
Hi.!

Okay so Zilla is now about 16 months and 18 inches nose to tip of tail. I adopted him 2 months ago now and he was already on crickets as a staple feeder. I have recently just changed this to dubia roaches and soon to be calci worms when they arrive. My question really is how many should he be eating and how often to offer live insects in a week.? He gets fresh salad daily (mainly kale, again this was what he was on when I first adopted him so gradually introducing new veg) his lighting is all new, temps are all stable at what they should be.

Thank youu.!

(pic was taken whilst mid shedding, clearly not enjoying my netflix choice haha)
View attachment 26225
awww he's adorable

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi.!

Thank youu.!

View attachment 26225
I’d be interesting in knowing, too. Dex is coming up to 12 months and I’ve already noticed his eating habits are starting to change. He gobbles his morning and afternoon salads, but doesn’t seem too interested in his dubia or crickets. He’ll eat a few of both each day, but then doesn’t even give them a second look. He’s otherwise still normal across the board and isn’t losing any weight (still quite the chunky monkey).

When they do they switch to 80% vege 20% protein? About how much protein should they be getting? Kinda freaks me out a little that he isn’t eating the mass quantities of bugs he used to. I’m worried I’m starving him. lol

averyhanna_

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I’d be interesting in knowing, too. Dex is coming up to 12 months and I’ve already noticed his eating habits are starting to change. He gobbles his morning and afternoon salads, but doesn’t seem too interested in his dubia or crickets. He’ll eat a few of both each day, but then doesn’t even give them a second look. He’s otherwise still normal across the board and isn’t losing any weight (still quite the chunky monkey).

When they do they switch to 80% vege 20% protein? About how much protein should they be getting? Kinda freaks me out a little that he isn’t eating the mass quantities of bugs he used to. I’m worried I’m starving him. lol
it’s awesome that dex is showing that! they usually hate the transition lol :)

with my beardie, i never had to rly worry ab that, he eats what he want and is always at a healthy weight ! you’ll want to feed insects 3 ish times a week as an adult. kale isn’t a good green for beardies, i recommend collards or mustard greens :)

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
My girl is about 1year3 months , i struggle to feed salads(they still get offered of course) so my information may be different than what you’re looking for, i feed my girl about 1-3 discoid roaches a day (some days she says no) they messure about an inch, all my bugs are heavily gut loaded with fresh veg (basicly the salad she doesn’t eat lol)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
it’s awesome that dex is showing that! they usually hate the transition lol :)

with my beardie, i never had to rly worry ab that, he eats what he want and is always at a healthy weight ! you’ll want to feed insects 3 ish times a week as an adult. kale isn’t a good green for beardies, i recommend collards or mustard greens :)
Thanks, Avery! Long time no see. lol Sounds like Ollie is doing well. :) Thanks for the info. Right now I'm still offering them daily as he's not quite a year yet. If he wants to eat them he can, if not he isn't. I offer Dex very little kale, but do include once in a while. This week his base is collard greens, white & purple cabbage, parsley (it's one of his favs), and endive.

Yeah, seems like his transition is going a lot smoother than the getting him to eat the veges in the first place. hahahaha Thought he'd never eat them. Now salads are his favorite meal. Go figure.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My girl is about 1year3 months , i struggle to feed salads(they still get offered of course) so my information may be different than what you’re looking for, i feed my girl about 1-3 discoid roaches a day (some days she says no) they messure about an inch, all my bugs are heavily gut loaded with fresh veg (basicly the salad she doesn’t eat lol)
Thanks, Skybug! Awww your girl is beautiful. :)

I'm still offering them to him daily, but perhaps shouldn't be freakin' out so bad that he's not getting enough protein. I figure as long as he's eating well, he knows what he needs and doesn't. All my bugs are heavily gut-loaded too. I give calcium grain, gel, and fresh salads (some of Dex's when I prep them) daily.

Dex was a stubborn boy when he was younger about eating his salads. It was frustrating as all get out. lol Now he gobbles them up. Phew! :)

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Zeus is five he doesn't eat salads and he is starting to slow down on eating his bugs.... not an option tough guy! Lol, he hasn't eaten salads his entire life i guess, so we are still in an endless battle of the greens lmao

i have to heavily gutload all the insects too, with a wide variety of things. i always offer him a salad anyways lol

Latest posts