• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragon NOOB

Kaos-1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi all,
I havent yet purchased my beardie, nor began building its enclosure, which I want to get done first so I can get everything right in an effort not to make it suffer in the wrong conditions untill I get temps etc. right.
I also think I am going to have some trouble finding live crickets in my area (gladstone QLD), so am wanting get some opinions on canned ones as a main meat source. Any enclosure tips would be great, I am looking at building a malemine one with glass doors at the front(mainly so I can conceal lighting,thermostat,timers etc) as the conventional mesh topped fish tank with lights sitting on top wont really suit my very curious 4yr old. How much ventilation is sufficient in this type of enclosure?
Thanks in advance for any help.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes, if you message RedAusInk (francis) He can set you straight where to find everything you'll need for a set up as well as feeders !
Hope this helps !

Kaos-1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yeah thanks.
Already seen that site, almost exactly what I'm wanting to build and will be using it for a reference, just wanted a second opinion as a lot of vivs have the completely mesh top and wasn't entirely sure if these vents would be adequate.

Also for this size(again around what I am considering), would the unshaded heat bulb be fine on its own with keeping the temp at the cool end right, or should I look at a shade/dome to concentrate it more to the warm end? If you can refer me to someone who has built one to these exact specs it would be excellent.

I will be looking into dimmers to make it easier to control temps through different seasons, so considering this, would you have a suggestion on bulb wattage to begin trying with?(clear household)
Cheers.

Latest posts