• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragon gone missing

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Hello, I have no idea how but my dragon has gone missing. Last I saw her she was in her terrarium. I put a few basking bulbs out trying to attract her. I’m totally heartbroken. I’ve only had her for a few weeks but have grown quite fond of her. Any idea on how to locate and recover her?thanks much

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, I have no idea how but my dragon has gone missing. Last I saw her she was in her terrarium. I put a few basking bulbs out trying to attract her. I’m totally heartbroken. I’ve only had her for a few weeks but have grown quite fond of her. Any idea on how to locate and recover her?thanks much
Is she in the house ? You need to check all closets under the bed -- places where she can go to sleep --

BeardiesForever45

Hatchling Dragon
Thank the lord you found her! I would check to see how she might have escaped. If necessary, get a new cage. Where was she also? How did you find her? :D

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Here's some tricks for if it happens again:
-Cover the floor of your house in flour. Check back in a few hours. If she went through the room, you will see a trail of footprints you can follow.
-Set up a basking light and some food/essentials in a secluded area of the house, one she is likely to go to. Check back every so often.
-If she has a travel carrier or hide she likes and is used to, you can set it up somewhere with treats inside.
-A trick used for snakes is to place coins (usually pennies) along the floor of your house. When the animal passes through, you will hear it. However, there is a chance the beardie will swallow them, so you may want to go with something safer. Crinkly materials you can hear from a distance work.
-If you have one, you may want to set up a camera in rooms she is likely to enter. That way, you can figure out where she likes to hide assuming she is missing long term.
-If any pets like a dog or a cat seem very interested in a certain spot, clear them out of the room and check it for evidence or the beardie herself.

There is a fascinating thread about a beardie who was lost in someone's house. May of the replies are full of tips and stories, and it's a good read. https://www.beardeddragon.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=156874&sid=562dbad3b545156ead70aea66640eba0

HoomanSlave

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Is there a lid on her tank? If not, you might want to get a screen top, a taller tank, or lower the basking spots so she can't climb out.

dragonscales

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
T
Great where was she? :)
Is there a lid on her tank? If not, you might want to get a screen top, a taller tank, or lower the basking spots so she can't climb out.
She was under a desk in the same room as her terrarium. My heart was broke thinking I’d never see her again. The only way she could’ve escaped is I must have left her tank door open. I have a zen habitats enclosure. It has a screen top. Valuable lesson learned. I’ll absolutely be more cautious. I don’t want to go through this hell again worrying about her. Peace

Latest posts