• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Draco lost appetite and is sleeping during the day :(

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yesterday morning there was a fresh poop in Dracos tank...I cleaned it out and gave him some collards, he ate most of the collards. Late afternoon early evening yesterday I came home and noticed he was all curled up in the corner of his tank and his tail looked blackish, he was awake but something about him looked different...we always remove his poop but his tank was looking a bit messy because of a recent minor shed (sometimes he gets a bit depressed if his tank looks messy) so I picked him up and placed him on his rock, he wasnt sleeping when I did this but he did look a bit suprised. I took out his carpet and vaccumed it down and replaced his carpet and his toys then gave him some fresh collards. He didnt even look twice at his collards, normally he runs over to them. I figured maybe he was just tired of collards today so I gave him just 5 crickets (incase he was sick I didnt want to over feed him)..it took him a while but he finally ate the 5 crickets (normally he can eat 25 in a matter of seconds) so this wasnt like him either. I didnt give him anymore than that incase something else was up with his system, i figured if he were hungry he could just eat some collards...I dont know what the temp is in his tank but everything is set up as it always was...he has his heat lamp at the same height as its been and his UVB bulb has been changed out and hes never had an issue before with his lamps. Ive also noticed hes been putting himself to bed a couple hours before his bed time lately as well. Draco will be a little over a year in July. Im so puzzled :(

Jaime

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
okay so I take that back...this morning I gave him some carrots and some new crix...he gobbled both up quickly....however he was starring at me like he was angry and I was going to eat him!!!! maybe hes just nervous?? I have no idea why...hes always been handled very peacefully and normally loves our attention...sooo strange. I have a theory, tell me what you think about this?? Draco spends a lot of time with my mom, she does 2 of his 3 feedings a day....I do his late night evening feed she does the AM and lunch feed becuase im at work. Normally she is here throughout the day cleaning and buzzing around. Mom is on vaca and her and my dad left on Sunday morning, Its just been me and draco since Sunday AM and ive been at work most of the day so hes only seeing my cats through the day and me for a couple of hours at night...our house is quiet and there isnt any activity going on...could this be causing him to get nervous when im around? I guess I will no more when everything goes back to normal. Im just glad he was eating this AM!!!! :)

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The lack of normal activity may have something to do with it. Personally, I think you are reading too much into things. We all have our off days, even BDs.

You should check your temps, as bulbs age, the heat emitted can change. If your ambient room temps have changed, as they sometimes do between the seasons, so will the enclosure temps. When is the last time the UVB bulb has been changed?

ThDude

Bearded Dragon Veteran
one thing we have to remember is BD's are still animals and can do unexpected things that sometimes dont have aparent reasons. we may know a lot about them but they still can do unexpected things.

Latest posts