• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Draco and Sadie

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
As some of you know, I adopted two beardies that had been housed together for nine months. I then joined this forum. (Thankfully). And separated them. Their enclosures were next to each other and they were stressed initially after the separation, for a few reasons I assume. I put a blind up so they cannot see each other, Draco just "wants" to be back with Sadie. On occassion I would take them both out and they can hang out together out of their enclosures with me. Well, yesterday Mr. Draco gave Sadie the mount. Yikes. NO BABY BEARDIES. I do not want fertile eggs...I do not want little adorable beardies, and I love beardies. The babies are adorable. I am too much of a novice.

I am kind of bummed though. They were close and cute together.. :'(

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Yikes! Hope nothing bad come out of that...

Hmm, I separated my babies back in January. They are a boy and girl, they've interacted with each other every day since then, and no aggressive behavior or 'mounting' lol.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If you do get eggs, you can put them in the freezer. It is said to be the most humane disposal of them.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee said:
If you do get eggs, you can put them in the freezer. It is said to be the most humane disposal of them.

Just for clarification purposes, this is for the eggs only. Not the most humane for reptiles that are hatched. In fact, quite the opposite.

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I separated them immediately. And it was not that easy. If I get eggs, are they already fertilized? If so, wouldnt is be best to find a breeder? There is one in my area. I can't kill them. I am too soft hearted. Yes, I am emotional these days... Color me going on 50. :-\

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Debbe said:
I separated them immediately. And it was not that easy. If I get eggs, are they already fertilized? If so, wouldnt is be best to find a breeder? There is one in my area. I can't kill them. I am too soft hearted. Yes, I am emotional these days... Color me going on 50. :-\

Most likely they would be fertile. Although at times, it can induce infertile eggs without actual copulation. (think teenage boy).
Is it best to find a breeder? To be honest not really. At least in my opinion. Things happen......we make mistakes........it's all good. But when it comes time to make those decisions, you have to decide if you want dragons hatched out from parents that too were too young and not primed to be bred. This can cause weak young with a failure to thrive. They may be deficient in some way, or they could be perfectly normal.

If your answer is yes...........then buy the hovobator still air model, you're ready to do this. If no, then freeze the eggs.

Going on 50? LOL.......welcome to the Dark Side of the Moon

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Oh, that makes me a wee bit teary. I do not want sickly babies. I already adopted one from a pet store... BIG mistake. I will now choose a breeder if I ever adopt again. Freeze it will be. :'(

pscaulkins

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
Debbe said:
I am too soft hearted. Yes, I am emotional these days... Color me going on 50. :-\

Going on 50? LOL.......welcome to the Dark Side of the Moon

I am a bit older but I also welcome you to the Dark Side of the Moon. lol

Don't feel bad, hopefully, nothing will happen..

Debbe

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Mike just got home from work. He said he was not willing to freeze the eggs, he would want babies. I told him he was on his own then. So stupid. I am going to add this this to the things that piss me off discussion. He works 70 hours a week. WHEN does he have time to take care of them? Arggggh! (Of course I could be the one who gets to them first....And no, i would not feel bad about making a decision the decision. Sadie and Draco are 10 months old. I have only been (we) beardie owners for a month.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
no worries. most of us have that other someone that isn't so "into" our animals. ;D

Latest posts