• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do you know what this is? Please help.

tammew

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello, I'm at my wits end so I'm hoping someone here has experienced a similar issue or seen this before.

My bearded dragon has had some sort of infection in her vent for 6+ months now and I can't seem to get it to clear up. We have been to the vet 2 or 3 times now. The vet gave us antibiotics and an ointment around December, and it seemed to be improving. I continued with camomile baths and topical honey, which he also recommended. It go better but it never quite cleared up. Additionally I changed to paper towel substrate and replace it regularly, I also clean and disinfect the tank every couple weeks. He suggested I lower the hummidity so a removed all plants near the tank and keep a fan or small heater nearby at all times which seems to have worked.

I took her back to the vet in January and he said it looked fine, despite some swelling and irritation. Now it looks a lot worse again. Her behavior is normal, she eats and poops regularly, and doesn't seem lethargic but this just doesn't look normal at all!!!! I'm so worried and I'm frustrated that nothing seems to work, I don't want it to become a bigger problem and cause her more pain or discomfort.

The vet confirmed it isn't related to prolapse and he didn't find any parasites. He thought maybe cloacitis but he wasn't sure and I can't find much information about it. I will take her back to the vet and ask for some tests of the infected tissue as well as her general health but has anyone seen something like this?

I am attaching photos from when I first noticed it in November, right before going to the vet in December, and what it looks like now.

Attachments

• Current.jpg
    Current.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
  • Current 2.jpg
    Current 2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11
  • December 2.jpg
    December 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • December.jpg
    December.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 15
  • November.jpg
    November.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 13
  • November 2.jpg
    November 2.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hello, I'm at my wits end so I'm hoping someone here has experienced a similar issue or seen this before.

My bearded dragon has had some sort of infection in her vent for 6+ months now and I can't seem to get it to clear up. We have been to the vet 2 or 3 times now. The vet gave us antibiotics and an ointment around December, and it seemed to be improving. I continued with camomile baths and topical honey, which he also recommended. It go better but it never quite cleared up. Additionally I changed to paper towel substrate and replace it regularly, I also clean and disinfect the tank every couple weeks. He suggested I lower the hummidity so a removed all plants near the tank and keep a fan or small heater nearby at all times which seems to have worked.

I took her back to the vet in January and he said it looked fine, despite some swelling and irritation. Now it looks a lot worse again. Her behavior is normal, she eats and poops regularly, and doesn't seem lethargic but this just doesn't look normal at all!!!! I'm so worried and I'm frustrated that nothing seems to work, I don't want it to become a bigger problem and cause her more pain or discomfort.

The vet confirmed it isn't related to prolapse and he didn't find any parasites. He thought maybe cloacitis but he wasn't sure and I can't find much information about it. I will take her back to the vet and ask for some tests of the infected tissue as well as her general health but has anyone seen something like this?

I am attaching photos from when I first noticed it in November, right before going to the vet in December, and what it looks like now.
I am not sure what is going on either -- the honey you were/ are using is raw unpasteurized honey? that is good for infections- I am reaching out to two people to see if they can assist here --- you want humidity in the tank optimal 40-50% taken w/a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall - this is good for shedding etc-- NO coils for a UVB and surface basking temps of 95-100 for an adult dragon --- this is all extremely important -- what is her diet ?
@Drache613

tammew

Bearded Dragon Egg
I am not sure what is going on either -- the honey you were/ are using is raw unpasteurized honey? that is good for infections- I am reaching out to two people to see if they can assist here --- you want humidity in the tank optimal 40-50% taken w/a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall - this is good for shedding etc-- NO coils for a UVB and surface basking temps of 95-100 for an adult dragon --- this is all extremely important -- what is her diet ?
Thank you for your response! The honey is raw, but not manuka which is supposed to be best. The humidty looks correct but I will reposition the probe to the center for a better reading, maybe even get a new one.

Her diet is a mix of greens and veggies, often arugala, raddish tops, zucchini, sometimes cabbage, raddish, bok choy, spinach, parsley, bell pepper, and occasionally sweet potato, apple, carrot, broccoli. Produce is pretty seasonal where I live but I try to switch it up and give her a mix. Do you recomend any other daily options? She is a pretty good eater, she usually eats veggies at least once a day.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you for your response! The honey is raw, but not manuka which is supposed to be best. The humidty looks correct but I will reposition the probe to the center for a better reading, maybe even get a new one.

Her diet is a mix of greens and veggies, often arugala, raddish tops, zucchini, sometimes cabbage, raddish, bok choy, spinach, parsley, bell pepper, and occasionally sweet potato, apple, carrot, broccoli. Produce is pretty seasonal where I live but I try to switch it up and give her a mix. Do you recomend any other daily options? She is a pretty good eater, she usually eats veggies at least once a day.
Ok the one person I reached out to answered on the other forum---- please NO more cabbage spinach raddishs or broccoli -- she needs greens like collards turnip kale or mustard -- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info it is outdated --- fruit should be fed occasionally-- please go over the lighting in the tank -- this is SOOOOO important --- we need to get this on par

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok the one person I reached out to answered on the other forum---- please NO more cabbage spinach raddishs or broccoli -- she needs greens like collards turnip kale or mustard -- here is a website for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html ignore the kale info it is outdated --- fruit should be fed occasionally-- please go over the lighting in the tank -- this is SOOOOO important --- we need to get this on par
website to find a reptile vet in your area if your in a small town type in a bigger cities zip code '
www.arav.org

tammew

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you, one problem I have is that where I live (we live in the Czech Republic) I haven't been able to find collards or mustard greens easily. Occasionally I find kale at farmers markets. I will look for turnip greens more! How is endive? I can order this online.

I will post a picture of the tank and lights too.

tammew

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is her set up. There is a ceramic bulb and a heat bulb, as well as a heat pad under the glass on the warm side. This side stays around 35-38c (95-100 f) and the cool side usually around 24-27c (75-80f), its a little low because the tank has been open for a bit today. Also sorry all the instruments are in celcius. The UVB bulb is the reptisun (10 I think) and there is another fluorescent bulb in the back as well, but it is time to replace the UVB bulb.

The tank is a bit odd, it was a custom build that was given to me after she outgrew her original tank.

Attachments

• IMG-3697.jpg
    IMG-3697.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG-3696.jpg
    IMG-3696.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG-3698.jpg
    IMG-3698.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 13

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is her set up. There is a ceramic bulb and a heat bulb, as well as a heat pad under the glass on the warm side. This side stays around 35-38c (95-100 f) and the cool side usually around 24-27c (75-80f), its a little low because the tank has been open for a bit today. Also sorry all the instruments are in celcius. The UVB bulb is the reptisun (10 I think) and there is another fluorescent bulb in the back as well, but it is time to replace the UVB bulb.

The tank is a bit odd, it was a custom build that was given to me after she outgrew her original tank.

Ok the coil bulb is a ? UVB? If so please get rid of it ---- She is getting NO UVB w / that bulb -- they are inadequate and you want this https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-desert-12#prot5-kit-12-24w
please get this immediately-- it needs to be directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches --- heat pads are no good dragons heat from their backs --- if you need heat at night please get a ceramic heat emitter --- temps at night should be 65-75

tammew

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok the coil bulb is a ? UVB? If so please get rid of it ---- She is getting NO UVB w / that bulb -- they are inadequate and you want this https://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/arcadia-prot5-uvb-kit-desert-12#prot5-kit-12-24w
please get this immediately-- it needs to be directly above the basking decor piece 12-15 inches --- heat pads are no good dragons heat from their backs --- if you need heat at night please get a ceramic heat emitter --- temps at night should be 65-75
She has the coil and another in the back but I will look for a similar UVB bulb that is available here to replace them. Do you think this is adequate? http://reptiplanet.pet/portfolio-items/repti-planet-linear-bulb-repti-uvb-10-0/?portfolioCats=90

The heat pad is just for extra warmth in the winter and at night, along with a cermic heat emitter. She also has a normal day-time basking bulb.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
She has the coil and another in the back but I will look for a similar UVB bulb that is available here to replace them. Do you think this is adequate? http://reptiplanet.pet/portfolio-items/repti-planet-linear-bulb-repti-uvb-10-0/?portfolioCats=90

The heat pad is just for extra warmth in the winter and at night, along with a cermic heat emitter. She also has a normal day-time basking bulb.
The UVB I posted is one of the best on the market --- the one you showed me I have never heard of and if its a Chinese made or equivalent its no good --- the Arcadias and the Reptisun bulbs long tube ones are made in Germany and are very much recommended -- I would recommend getting the Arcadia or a Zoo Med fixture w/ the Reptisun bulb ---

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

That is a pretty nasty looking skin lesion. Are you
using raw unpasteurized honey or manuka honey?
Did the vet ever give any type of antibiotic? Since
she has ad the infection or issue for so long, I
think an antibiotic should be given. Has this been
affecting her appetite & behavior?

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Latest posts