• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DIY enclosure advice

Kylie C

Hatchling Dragon
I am going to build 2 or 3 100 gallon tanks for my beardie (I want to get more so that’s why I’m building multiple). I was going to use maple for the base and sides, a sliding door for the front (probably plexiglass) and make a chicken wire lid. I’ll get a tiny vent for the inside too and I’m not sure how, but I’m going to mount the UVB on the inside. I have the standard reptisun (12 inch maybe) UVB light. Is that okay to use or should I get one that reaches across the entire wnclosure?

I’m going to look for some rough tile to line the bottom with. I have a 150 Watt heat light for the 40 gallon tanks and it does not gettoo hot. I’m pretty sure I’llneed to supplement tank temps with a ceramic heat emitter which I have... I’ll just have to experiment I suppose. I’m a little worried about using wood, so if anyone has fire prevention tips that would be amazing!

also, is maple okay to use? Google says yes, but I’d love second opinions! Oak is pretty expensive . Any tips from DIY folks would be awesome!

Attachments

• 320B80D5-2438-4D8F-B0DF-5F90D415D17C.png
    320B80D5-2438-4D8F-B0DF-5F90D415D17C.png
    450.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 1DFCA0D4-9F85-408E-AB1C-929B1A843EFF.png
    1DFCA0D4-9F85-408E-AB1C-929B1A843EFF.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

Silver dragons

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hello, normally you want the UVB to go 3/4 of the enclosure. Never used maple but I've heard it is just fine for bearded dragons. Also here is a good video on how to make sliding doors.

Rich Garbarino

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'll tell you right now it's way cheaper to buy a 4'x8' full sheet of plywood compared to a 2'x2' or 2'x4' foot pre cut piece! I suggest 3/16 glass over plexiglass, it won't scratch or warp like plexiglass will. You gan get tracks in 4' strips on amzon

Kylie C

Hatchling Dragon
I'll tell you right now it's way cheaper to buy a 4'x8' full sheet of plywood compared to a 2'x2' or 2'x4' foot pre cut piece! I suggest 3/16 glass over plexiglass, it won't scratch or warp like plexiglass will. You gan get tracks in 4' strips on amzon

Ooh wonderful advice thank you!!!

Latest posts