• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

distinguishing morphs from reg's

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
How does a person tell what type a dragon is? I have been going through all the info on the internet as well as reading books.
When I have looked at pictures, and read descriptions, my dragons seem to fit into a couple areas. I assume they are both regulars (I know they are not leatherbacks and that's about all), as I realize they are the most common.
Is there a way to tell the genetics (regular dragon vs. morph) when you have rescued or adopted?

Sqooky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Pics would be helpful. A couple of morphs have distinguishing characteristics. Translucent has black beady eyes and looks almost see through, hypo has clear nails, leucistic will be very light in color. There are also a lot of catchy names that breeders give to them to help with sales. But unless it fits one of the categories to a t, it's hard to tell.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks!! I will take some better pics to show markings,etc. LOL! Right now all I have are of them doing cute or funny things! Will try to get them up asap.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
DSC_0134 (Small).jpg
DSC_0152 (Small).jpg
DSC_0148 (Small).jpg
DSC_0145 (Small).jpg

The first two are of my male. I think he is still a little skinny, but is finally eating better. He is missing alot of toes and the tip of his tail. The second 2 pics are of the female.

Sqooky

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The markings on his head look like scar tissue to me, possibly was in a fight with another dragon? Guy on top looks like my Igor, he's rather light in color. I was told Igor is chris allen red x sandfire. Dunno how much I believe that. Bottom guy definatly looks like he has some sandfire in him.

Problem with genetics i that people have crossed so many lines he could be a mix of anything. Just dunno. Either way they are some handsome dragons.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I don't know for sure what the marks are on the female, she came to us that way - but now that scar tissue has been mentioned, that does make sense. It had no issues when she was shedding, so we don't think about it anymore!

whew! genetics and morphs are hard for me to remember! I imagine it is somewhat like the dog industry and people have started to breed just about everything?!
either way, Thanks!!

Dragonsx6

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The marks on the top of your girls head looked like my Dusty's after she had ben trying to dig under the basking rock in her viv. She goes thru little periods where she likes to dig at things everynow and again and she had marks like that from trying to push her head under the rock as she was digging, didnt affect anywhere else just the bits above her eyes. They did eventually go away after a couple of sheds.

tdrost

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
The marks on the top of your girls head looked like my Dusty's after she had ben trying to dig under the basking rock in her viv. She goes thru little periods where she likes to dig at things everynow and again and she had marks like that from trying to push her head under the rock as she was digging, didnt affect anywhere else just the bits above her eyes. They did eventually go away after a couple of sheds.
yeah, she had the marks the day she came to me. they looked just like they do now, so i can only assume that they are from long ago!

Latest posts