• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Discoid roach questions

Impawsible_Squad

Juvenile Dragon
1. Is it okay to keep both your breeding AND feeder roaches in the same container as long as they have room?
2. Is it okay to have quite a bit of ventilation (screen top) on your discoid roach container even though they love humidity?
3. Can you still dust your discoids if they are already gut loaded with veggies and fruits and are eating this: https://www.amazon.com/Flukers-High-Calcium-Cricket-11-5-Ounce/dp/B002DWTJBO/ref=sr_1_29?dchild=1&keywords=dubia+roach+food&qid=1616868062&sr=8-29&th=1 ? Also, is that a good food choice?
4. Any tips on how to avoid mites and mold?

I'm hoping to finally get my beardie some roaches after such a long time of convincing my family.
The current temp of the cage is 91 degrees with the heat lamp on and humidity usually sits around 40% here even without spraying

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
1. Yes, what size bin do u have and how many roaches will be in it?
2. Id say no, you need humidity to be trapped inside for the adult females egg pouch, 40% humidity for discoids is kinda low , i keep mine around 60-80% (and I notice they molt quicker at the higer levels)
I wouldn’t feed them the flukers personally i dont like their products , i go with this Roach chow , its ingredients peaked my interest so i went with it.
3.id still dust your bugs, i dust my bugs 3 times a week so theres no overload of supplements.
4. I haven’t had any issues with mites ,so i cant give advice on that (i take out my adults and look them over (because they dont molt, the mites are more likely to be on them)
Mold hasn’t been an issue for me either, how I achieve this is one side of the bin has two food dishes , #1 for the roach chow #2 for any veggies that cant go directly on the bins floor (potato, carrot, and any root veggies can go directly on the floor) i have their cardboard leaning against the side of their bin directly above their food (so they can just drop down feast and climb back up) the other half if the bin is devoid of anything, i mist the walls and floor till droplets start to run , i do this every other week? (Like i said you want minimal ventilation so humidity can be trapped, you still want ventilation, but only enough for them to breath) you dont want to spray the cardboard (mold will form) , you can mist the veggie dish but id try to only mist one side of your bin if possible. , if you can I highly highly recommend cleaner crew bugs in the container aswell, i use springtails, pincher bugs (aka earwigs) , and a couple beetle types i cant remember, these will clean the bin and keep it from smelling.

Impawsible_Squad

Juvenile Dragon
Okay. Thanks! I'm starting out with 20 adults and I'm gonna use a 10 gallon and then a 20 once they start breeding more. Do you think regular misting on the sides of the tank would keep the humidity up higher? Their heat source is gonna be a heat bulb and I don't want to risk a fire by covering the screen top. Do you do calcium, calcium +D3 and multivitamins every week still? And do you use a substrate? I'll look into the food you recommended too

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Okay. Thanks! I'm starting out with 20 adults and I'm gonna use a 10 gallon and then a 20 once they start breeding more. Do you think regular misting on the sides of the tank would keep the humidity up higher? Their heat source is gonna be a heat bulb and I don't want to risk a fire by covering the screen top. Do you do calcium, calcium +D3 and multivitamins every week still? And do you use a substrate? I'll look into the food you recommended too
Even a 20 gallon is kinda small in my opinion, if you can do 30 thatd be really the minimum i can recommend (you dont want to get overrun) , may i ask what state you live in and whats your weather like? If you can get a heat mat with a scale and thermometer on it i think thatd be safer than a bulb, i live in Florida so i only use a heat mat in the “winter” , i do give my beardie calcium +d3 , 2 different vitamins every week , i do have substrate in my roache bin, sand on the wet side (nothing for the mold to grow on) and dirt on the side i have the roaches.

Latest posts