• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

diminished appetite and stress marks

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Rex has had a diminished appetite for a little while now. I was hoping it was part of his shed cycle but it has continued. Times when he is interested in eating is sporadic and he appears to be mostly ignoring his crickets. Now when I put crickets in the viv for him to eat he sits on his branch like a sloth and gets little dark dots on his belly i believe are stress marks. I have some silkworms on the way to vary his diet some but this is just getting to be too annoying for me. It seems sometimes like no matter how much time you put in and how much money you spend its never enough.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's very possible he's just bored with them....but just in case, have you had a fecal done recently?

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I have had a fecal done recently and he was in the clear. So it's just that simple that he doesnt fancy them anymore so I have to go out and burn more money lol. This lil guy can be a pain in the rear. I was hoping these silkworms woulda hatched sooner so I could get that food source goin but they are late so I have some live ones on the way hopefully he likes em.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Variety is key with this little guys. Crickets 3 times per week, roaches 3 times per week, phoenix worms 1 time per week. Just an example of what I am talking about.

Bernie tired of crickets. We switched to phoenix worms. Didn't know about dubia roaches at the time.

Is he eating his salad?

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yea he's only had crickets and occasional treat of small supers and waxworms. I plan on getting dubia roaches once I can find a place with them in stock and at a decent price. I do catch him eating his salad more often now.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Ok, it is good that he is eating. Perhaps, he is growing up and slowing down on proteins coupled with tired of crickets. Bernie was a champ at crickets until he reached 12 months. Then he gave the evil eye when they were dropped in. It's a horrible site to see a cricket propped in between their eyes.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee pretty much covered it.....sounds like he's a bit put off with the crickets at the moment.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
crystal9534 said:
how many phoenix worms are they allowed to eat a day? my boys are 6 or so months old

Pretty much the same rule of thumb as crickets. Make sure they are no larger than the space between their eyes and let them eat their fill for the first 10 minutes of giving them the protein.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
so yea i got rex all those expensive feeders but it hasnt changed anything he just runs from his food and shows fleeting interest in it. Wasted money at the vet checkin up on him nothing wrong with his health. He i just like jabba the hut, stationary like the majority of the time. He isn't fun to me anymore and is becoming a bottomless pit of expenditures. Rehoming him here soon. Thanks everyone for the good tips you were all very helpful. It just really isn't for me I've decided.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Well, I wouldn't say it was a waste of money. You did the responsible thing and ensured he did have anything wrong with him. Hopefully, you took a fecal in for test work and they did bloodwork in order to rule out any underlying problems that could potentially going on.

I'm also sorry that you have not bonded with Rex. Bearded dragons are docile creatures. They do slow down after they turn a year old, but they remain a responsibility and require our care.

Good luck finding Rex a good home. Hopefully, he will thrive from the change.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I hope so too. It isn't all Rex's fault though I will say. I wanted some pet companionship and I thought it would be neat to have a bearded dragon. Well I could buy an autographed movie poster and hang it on the wall and get as much fun out of it as I do Rex. It was probably mostly my fault for making the wrong choice or expecting some unrealistic level of interaction with Rex, I dunno. Couple this with all the effort and money I put into his diet that gets shunned it's just a bit too frustrating. Thanks for the good wishes, I intend to make sure the next owner is versed in beardie care so Rex will have a happy life.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Feel free to give this site's info to the new parents. When making the determination of taking on the responsibility of any exotic pet, research should definitely be performed. As with any pet, you want to ensure there is a good fit prior to a decision being made.

Whether it be a dog, hamster, snake, or rabbit, you need to click with the animal. I strongly believe that the animal should pick their owner's rather than the owner picking the animal.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sad....................................................
But you made the best decision.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Sure thing Renee, I'll definitely let them know about this site. I've had Rex for a few months now and kept on with a willing attitude to give Rex a nice life. But I recently had something happen in my personal life that changed how much time I have at home to bond with the little guy on top of the other issues I have with his annoying eating habits and his disinterest in almost everything. I hate to give up on things I really do, I just don't see how in the future I am going to view him as anything other than a burden, and in my opinion that is not fair to Rex, hence my decision.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Justus85 said:
Sure thing Renee, I'll definitely let them know about this site. I've had Rex for a few months now and kept on with a willing attitude to give Rex a nice life. But I recently had something happen in my personal life that changed how much time I have at home to bond with the little guy on top of the other issues I have with his annoying eating habits and his disinterest in almost everything. I hate to give up on things I really do, I just don't see how in the future I am going to view him as anything other than a burden, and in my opinion that is not fair to Rex, hence my decision.

It's a good decision, dude! The best for you and Rex. I've personally enjoyed having you around here...so you'll be missed. Keep in touch and keep us posted on Rex's new parent(s).

Latest posts