• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Digging

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on ways to satisfy their beardie's need to dig? My little guy digs at everything (tile, blankets, skin) and really seems to enjoy himself. I just want to provide an additional outlet for his digging time.

Thanks!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Nothing if he is less than 10"+, nose to tip of tail. Then, if you want to satisfy your BDs passion for digging, the only particle substrate that I would suggest\recommend is Strained Children's Washed Play Sand. Please stay away from almost all loose substrates that is sold in Pet Stores other than maybe Zoomed Repti-Sand (Quartz), but is highly overpriced when you can pick up Washed Play Sand at most big box hardware stores or garden centers for $4-$6 for a 50 lb bag ;).

Augie

Juvenile Dragon
If he's big enough and you decide to go that route but don't want sand as a substrate, you can make a tupperware sandbox for your little one to play in too. :)

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks for the ideas! I think a tupperware sandbox would be fun for him! He is almost 14" so sand won't be a problem. Could burrying himself entirely cause any issues?

Aleena

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the ideas! I think a tupperware sandbox would be fun for him! He is almost 14" so sand won't be a problem. Could burrying himself entirely cause any issues?
LOL! I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as they can see the light they can dig themselves right back out.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If your intention is to place a box of sand in the enclosure for it to dig in, I have seen many others try this or try to partition off, put a short retaining wall to hold the sand, so part is sand & part tile. Every attempt at this that I have seen is short lived. They soon found out that the sand doesn't stay in the area or container, that it is wanted to be, always getting kicked, sprayed by the digging action & tracked into the rest of the enclosure, defeating the purpose of dual substrates & making it always look dirty. They always end up going to one or the other, all sand or no sand, because of this. Just a Heads Up!

I think having a separate external digging bin, similar to a laybin would be a joke. Taking it out to have a digging spree in a strange bin, just wouldn't work for this purpose IMHO.

Lemonpie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
LOL! I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as they can see the light they can dig themselves right back out.
Would filling a box with large fabric scraps work as well? He really likes blankets and socks!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm thinking that just is inviting swallowing threads or pieces of fabric, as bad as any other particle substrate with larger particles that are not digestible. Accident looking for a place to happen & you would be providing the place. He will do just fine until he is big enough to use Sand if that is to be your choice.

emilybeardie

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ha my girl "dug" up the upholstery on the couch.

*Moderated*

Your link had too many wwww's so did not work. Also, advertising is not allowed on the Forum unless it is in the Classifieds & Reptile related. Your link has been deleted.
Advertisements vs. Spam
Advertising is only acceptable in the Classifieds Forum. Unsolicited emails, private messages, or other contact via BeardedDragonForum.com constitutes spam. Threads outside of the 'Classifieds Forum' serving to advertise ANY product or service are considered spam and will be deleted. Links placed in a user's signature block must be for personal websites and\or relating to reptiles. All links to referral programs and sites with known malicious intent will be removed. Established members may post reptile-related projects they are working on in the "Shameless Promotion" subforum of the Classifieds ONLY. BDF staff reserves the right to remove any of these threads/posts we feel violate the community guidelines.
Please make yourself aware of the Community Guidelines
BDF Community Guidelines - Please read and be aware of these

Latest posts