• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dig Box -- Felt & Related objects?

novarei

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey all!

I really want to make a dig box for my beardie but I want to do it right, and do it as safely as possible.

He's about 18 inches tip to tail, and does a fair bit of glass surfing but also pushing around the larger loose rocks that I have in his enclosure. (I put a handful of them along the wall to try to fill in the gaps where the tile didn't quite cover).

I thought maybe a dig box was in order, so now I'm trying to build one. Questions:
  • About how big should it be for an 18" dragon? How long, how wide, how deep?
  • Hot side or cold side of enclosure?
  • What do you all fill yours with?
I'm looking at these things. Felted wool "pebbles". Would that be an issue? If so, I will most definitely not use them!
I'm nervous about particulate and unsure what to choose that will give him something to dig around in without any chance of harm, impaction, ingesting sand, eye issues...

Someone else on these forums mentioned they might cut up pieces of fabric to put into a dig box. If that works, seems like these would work?

Thanks all

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Sand is okay as long as its rated “play sand” if ur looking to buy sand try to get a fistful of it, if it falls through ur hand its safe, if you grab it and its (compacted) that means its aggregated Sand and its no good, whats his setup look like now may we see a picture? If your making a dig box you could also give thought to a bioactive setup? That might satiate His need to dig?

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Hey all!

I really want to make a dig box for my beardie but I want to do it right, and do it as safely as possible.

He's about 18 inches tip to tail, and does a fair bit of glass surfing but also pushing around the larger loose rocks that I have in his enclosure. (I put a handful of them along the wall to try to fill in the gaps where the tile didn't quite cover).

I thought maybe a dig box was in order, so now I'm trying to build one. Questions:
  • About how big should it be for an 18" dragon? How long, how wide, how deep?
  • Hot side or cold side of enclosure?
  • What do you all fill yours with?
I'm looking at these things. Felted wool "pebbles". Would that be an issue? If so, I will most definitely not use them!
I'm nervous about particulate and unsure what to choose that will give him something to dig around in without any chance of harm, impaction, ingesting sand, eye issues...

Someone else on these forums mentioned they might cut up pieces of fabric to put into a dig box. If that works, seems like these would work?

Thanks all
Those pebbles are hella cute, he gonna get poop on them though, id get something that can act as a kitty litter , any soiled pieces can then just be thrown away.

novarei

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sand is okay as long as its rated “play sand” if ur looking to buy sand try to get a fistful of it, if it falls through ur hand its safe, if you grab it and its (compacted) that means its aggregated Sand and its no good, whats his setup look like now may we see a picture? If your making a dig box you could also give thought to a bioactive setup? That might satiate His need to dig?
I don't have a useful one to send; he's living at a sufficient non-permanent enclosure at my partner's house while I revamp his actual-enclosure at mine. He's on tile in both places in a 2x2x4.

I am interested in excavator clay, too.... maybe using it in conjunction with tile to build up some areas? But I read some horror stories about excavator clay going moldy.

Latest posts