• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Difference between t-5-and t-8??

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If any one can help what is the difference between the 2?? More UVB-OR less as it seems around where I live I can only get t-8's and a fixture to hold them . I mean you can order a t-5 but no fixture's to go with them thus my question what the difference is between the 2-as I may have to resort to a t-8 as I can get fixture's for a t-8 tube.Any help would be appreciated-tks. river-7

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
The T5 light is good if you are sitting your fixture on a mesh top. The UV penetrates the mesh more than the T8 bulb does so your dragon can be like 16 inches away from the light as opposed to 4-6 inches away with a T8 bulb on the mesh.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Well I had to get the t-8 but she is at that distance , So I guess we are good to go. And the lady that is selling the chameleon cage just emailed and we are going to meet tomorrow afternoon so, now babies can stay out in the cage and I won't worry about one of them getting hurt trying to jump off-of me. So everything is coming together for them.Her screen is really big wires on it. Should I put the t-8 in her cage or leave it on top??It makes it hard to heat as well but I manage to keep her temps pretty stabe-[towel over the top]river-7

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Patsy; The wires are quite big on her tank, and the distance is about 4-6 inches from her.And that will have to do for now. It is not your regular mesh top.Large wires, and boy that makes the heating issue hard to manage.That will do until I make different arrangements. river-7

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Joshua;Yeah, and the shipping would be nuts if you had it shipped lol.Have you tried Ebay; as they ship all over the world. I am going to check myself today if I have time. Tks. again river-7

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Sorry, I've been MIA the past few days. Had a few family things and last night a migraine put me down for the count :(

When I first started out I had the T8 on top of my mesh and got Dexter and Luci within 4-6 inches from it. As they got older though I didn't want them falling from the height and hurting themselves so I switched to the T5. I noticed the difference in activity right away! Anyway.... I was thinking if the mesh on your tank is sturdy and the holes are on the big side, you could probably attach the light to the inside of the lid with some wire or plastic ties.

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah; Patsey. That is what I thought as well but my fear is what about burning her?? As they are pretty hot lights[T-8]. I am waiting for my chameleon cage to come and I will get it ready for when the sun comes out tomorrow. bought for $20.00 and it's 16-16-30 not a bad price and in great condition-you would never know it was used.Now I have to round up some basking things for them to go out 1-at a time lol.And i'm trying to sell my 30-gal; long tank and everybody wanted to have uvb ,basking decorations ect; so I gave them all that and put my price up.I have had a few emails but I am surprised that they don't want a beardie for $20.00 too.. People sometimes get to you after awhile.river-7

river-7

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Update Bulb is exactly 4-inches from her inside the cage and my fear is =I hope it don't fall and I think they are pretty hot as she stays awhile then moves to cooler side.she don't seem to like it there.but I think that comes from having no uvb. river-7

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Just keep an eye on her. It shouldn't be too hot for her. It's good that she knows to go to the cooler side when she gets too warm.

Latest posts