• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Diarrhea

Melvinator

Bearded Dragon Egg
Melvin is a 1.5-2 year old male (unsure of exact age) who has been having bouts of diarrhea.
At times, he goes every 1-3 days, other times he will not go all weeks and when he does, it is very loose and smells foul.
I did have a stool sample tested at the vet and he was positive for pinworms, for which he has been treated. He presently tests negactive for any other parasites or bacteria.

His diet is primarily collard greens, with a mixture of veggies (red bell peppers, sometimes carrots, peeled cucumbers) that are rotated out so he's not eating the same thing every day. Fruit on occasion. (1-2 blueberries, or few bites of a strawberry). Insects every other day. These are primarily wax worms, meal worms, Dubia roaches dusted in Repashy calcium.

When he does have diarrhea, there are bits of undigested greens present.
I have been having some trouble with getting his basking spot higher than 90 degrees Fahrenheit, and am starting to wonder if that could play a part?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Melvin is a 1.5-2 year old male (unsure of exact age) who has been having bouts of diarrhea.
At times, he goes every 1-3 days, other times he will not go all weeks and when he does, it is very loose and smells foul.
I did have a stool sample tested at the vet and he was positive for pinworms, for which he has been treated. He presently tests negactive for any other parasites or bacteria.

His diet is primarily collard greens, with a mixture of veggies (red bell peppers, sometimes carrots, peeled cucumbers) that are rotated out so he's not eating the same thing every day. Fruit on occasion. (1-2 blueberries, or few bites of a strawberry). Insects every other day. These are primarily wax worms, meal worms, Dubia roaches dusted in Repashy calcium.

When he does have diarrhea, there are bits of undigested greens present.
I have been having some trouble with getting his basking spot higher than 90 degrees Fahrenheit, and am starting to wonder if that could play a part?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you
Yes he needs surface basking temps of 95-100-- what are you using for a UVB? coil or long tube fixture? Cucumbers are very watery and can cause diarrhea --- wax worms are fatty and too many can cause liver issues - what wattage bulb are you using and are you getting the temps w/ a digital probe thermometer?

Melvinator

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yes he needs surface basking temps of 95-100-- what are you using for a UVB? coil or long tube fixture? Cucumbers are very watery and can cause diarrhea --- wax worms are fatty and too many can cause liver issues - what wattage bulb are you using and are you getting the temps w/ a digital probe thermometer?
I am getting the temps with a digital probe thermometer.
I am using a coil UVB.
He rarely gets cucumbers, but I will certainly cut those back more. Though it sounds like I need to cut back on wax worms as well (his favorite)
His basking light is 100 Watts, his tank is 50 gallons

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I am getting the temps with a digital probe thermometer.
I am using a coil UVB.
He rarely gets cucumbers, but I will certainly cut those back more. Though it sounds like I need to cut back on wax worms as well (his favorite)
His basking light is 100 Watts, his tank is 50 gallons
Please get rid of the coil--- they are inadequate and will cause all kinds of illnesses - I am going to post 3 good ones- please get a 24" fixture-- https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-high-output-terrarium-hood - this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb you need this bulb a 22" https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-100-uvb-high-output-bulbs or this one it can be found at PetSmart https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/en...v-b-kit-65058.html?cgid=500114&fmethod=Browse you want the 24 watt 12% bulb or this one 24" or 2 ft please change the bulb out to the one I posted above the reptisun bulb https://hydrobuilder.com/sunblaster...mp.html?opts=eyJhdHRyaWJ1dGU5MDEiOiI2NjEwIn0= when you get the uvb please post back on here and I will help you set it up the screen on the tank will determine where the uvb is placed and distanced- do this right away your dragon is not getting the uvb he needs another reason for runny stools and parasites

Latest posts