• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dexter's Giving Attitude

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Well, the reason lasting long is good is that is allows you to buy super bulk, which saves you money. 25 Phoenix worms will be gone in one feeding and will likely not be enough; they are small. That's why I wouldn't buy less than 1,000. Black soldier fly larvae are fine for a short period in their packing material but should be gutloaded with veggies and moist bread to keep them healthy and of maximum nutritional value in my opinion.
Ah, so I need to pick up another container like I have for his crickets and roaches it seems. I just left the worms in the little containers they came in. Did not know about the veggies and moist bread. Thank you, thank you. Will certainly start that regimen with them, too, like I do his dubia and crickets. Didn't know I needed to so this helps greatly. Learning all kinds of stuff. :)

I usually only give him 3-4 phoenix a day. I got confused and thought they were the ones high in fat and should only be given as treats so his lasted a little while. He'll be happy to know he can have more. lol I put 4 in his salad this morning. Gone in 4 chews before he started on his salad. After, I got him to eat some crickets, but I think he was holding out for the dubia which came next. lol Pigged out on them. He's basking on his rock right now being all full and feelin' lazy.

Beardomania

Juvenile Dragon
Ah, so I need to pick up another container like I have for his crickets and roaches it seems. I just left the worms in the little containers they came in. Did not know about the veggies and moist bread. Thank you, thank you. Will certainly start that regimen with them, too, like I do his dubia and crickets. Didn't know I needed to so this helps greatly. Learning all kinds of stuff. :)

I usually only give him 3-4 phoenix a day. I got confused and thought they were the ones high in fat and should only be given as treats so his lasted a little while. He'll be happy to know he can have more. lol I put 4 in his salad this morning. Gone in 4 chews before he started on his salad. After, I got him to eat some crickets, but I think he was holding out for the dubia which came next. lol Pigged out on them. He's basking on his rock right now being all full and feelin' lazy.
Yeah, you can let him have 40 and it'll only be good for him.

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
My babies do kinda look like pill bugs, sorry shouldve showed u the babies as well , ours are identical except yours look just a little longer , they only get their wings in the final molt i think they molt like 8or11 times? , and yea they are expensive, just get him a cup of 20 1/2 see if he likes them any better, odds are he’ll only like the dubia, if you can offer him atleast 3 different kinds of bugs i think ur doin a good job( A chitinous bug, roaches ,meal worms or supers, squishy bugs, crickets, bsfl , hornworms
So you got some! Do you have them in a bin? Did you buy local or online? They seem healthy & I'm still looking in where to buy. Are you set up for breeding or just feeders right now?
I do know that I was considering the discoid but skybugs are too much for me right now-think I will stick with the cuter ones..lol but thanks for the pics ladies or guys...

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon

I've had mine in a cool spot (in original container) for four weeks & all are fine. The substrate lessens & I mix in used coffee grounds.
If you feed, they will grow fast so unless your breeding the guy I buy from said it's best not to feed. Spray lightly with water if the container seems dry. If you over spray he said to put bread/flour in. He said things mold up quick so don't leave food in to spoil. Will find you his link on caring for them...

2Pacalypse

Juvenile Dragon
I've had mine in a cool spot (in original container) for four weeks & all are fine. The substrate lessens & I mix in used coffee grounds.
If you feed, they will grow fast so unless your breeding the guy I buy from said it's best not to feed. Spray lightly with water if the container seems dry. If you over spray he said to put bread/flour in. He said things mold up quick so don't leave food in to spoil. Will find you his link on caring for them...

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
So you got some! Do you have them in a bin? Did you buy local or online? They seem healthy & I'm still looking in where to buy. Are you set up for breeding or just feeders right now?
I do know that I was considering the discoid but skybugs are too much for me right now-think I will stick with the cuter ones..lol but thanks for the pics ladies or guys...
I do have about 50 in a temp container used as feeders right now. I buy from the pet store where I adopted Dex and they have dubia. I'm not quite ready to set up yet. I plan on getting the rest of the supplies I need this weekend. I'll either grab some from the feeders and start or will use some of the ones I pick up this Friday. I usually grab about 80 roaches each week so I'll just grab 10 additional my next order so Dex doesn't feel like he's getting gypped. lol

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
My roaches only last for about a week. I give them the standard grain, calcium gel (water) and some of Dex's salad mixture each day. What they don't eat overnight I throw out and replace. Same with the crickets. I try to keep them as clean as possible, 'cause they tend to stink if I don't. 500 crickets last me about 7 days. I'm usually feeding him the last of the 15-20 left the morning I pick up his order. I don't have any substrate in the temp containers. Just a small crate for the roaches and two stacked crates for the crickets.

I keep the containers in a small cupboard I have in my home office. I have one shelf dedicated for Dex's stuff. lol Back up heat bulbs, a back up UV tube, extra bug grain and gel, extra digital thermometers, extra calcium and vitamins, and for emergencies I have a box of repti-boost, some jars of baby food veges, and a package of dried veges that you add water to. I went and stocked up on fresh veges yesterday as I knew we were getting the huge snowstorm we are currently experiencing, but if I hadn't been able to lil Dex wouldn't go hungry. :)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
This is the link. Sorry it took me a bit. Had to feed dragon his worms & get the parrots ready for bed. Now on to the ferrets, hamsters, cats & dogs...
Holy moly you got yourself quite the menagerie of critters. lol I always wanted a parrot, but never had time for one. Now that I do have some time I won't adopt one as I have a fe-lion hunter that would terrorize the poor thing constantly. I'll stick with Dex who intimidates kitty enough that he rarely bothers him. [snicker]

dsatt

Bearded Dragon Egg
How much are you paying for roaches? You might want to start a roach colony (its not as gross as it seems) , the upkeep is minimal you only have to feed them and water them, they dont stink , it takes like 8 months for a discoid roach to mature, if you are worried about one getting out and infesting ur home , they cant climb smooth surfaces either.
Thank you for this reply. Is there a certain container I would need or can I just use a sterite container with holes in the top? Is their food readily available at pet stores? I may try this. Do they mate enough that you can actually be breeding enough of your own roaches? Thank you

Amanda Kincaid

Bearded Dragon Egg
We have had the same problem on getting dubias at our local feed store and our little guy loves them. Im thinking of ordering some from online, I'm just not sure what a good site would be or good prices. The feed store mentioned feeding Lizardo a pinky mouse but I'm not sure if I want to do that.

BeardieLover<3

Juvenile Dragon
We have had the same problem on getting dubias at our local feed store and our little guy loves them. Im thinking of ordering some from online, I'm just not sure what a good site would be or good prices. The feed store mentioned feeding Lizardo a pinky mouse but I'm not sure if I want to do that.
A good site is reptilian arts. We use it and its pretty cheap

LJZONUM

Bearded Dragon Egg
I started a roach colony (took surprisingly long time for them to start breeding) and now my beardie won’t eat them! I’m actually a little dismayed, not knowing what I’m going to do with all the roaches I now have ... and they just keep making more even though I no longer keep them at the correct temps. All I can do is hope he decides to start eating them again. ANYWAY, moral of the story is start breeding them. It’s easy and will save you tons of money.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Thank you for this reply. Is there a certain container I would need or can I just use a sterite container with holes in the top? Is their food readily available at pet stores? I may try this. Do they mate enough that you can actually be breeding enough of your own roaches? Thank you
I plan on getting a couple cheap, dark bins (can get at local store for about $5-10) this weekend. I'll make my own holes (saw a video that was pretty cool on the how to) and cover with some small mesh I already have. I'll dig out the reptile heat pad which I'll attach to the sleeping side of the bin if I need to. May not need, but have just in case (I found it stuck to the bottom of Seymore's tank when I adopted him - eye roll). I'll have to get another if I use more than one bin and it's needed. I placed an order for a dozen crates yesterday. I've seen the roach feed at the store I go to and on a few other sites, but I currently give them the cricket feed I usually get and they seem to like it. I'll continue giving them the water gel as it seems the easiest. Only other thing I need to look into further is what to provide for veges, etc. I'll make a list from what Skybug provided and determine best from there and get this weekend.

Not sure how often they mate yet, others can best answer that. I'm just staring up. :)

Latest posts