• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dexter

kellywiz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hey, just looking for a bit of advice... We've been looking into getting a bearded dragon for the past few years, we're now finally in the position where we have the time (kids now at school) to give the care and attention that they need. We found one in a well reputed reptile shop that we instantly fell in love with and it felt like he chose us too! We've now had him for four days, I know I'm being inpatient but what do we do now... He doesn't seem interested in food (live and veg). He's eaten a couple of worms and one cricket. I know it takes time for him to settle in but how can I help him do this? Do I handle him or leave him be? Do I leave him to eat of his own accord or try to hand feed him?? Please help...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411299056.195937.jpg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Welcome to the forum! I also have a Dexter, but mine is a girl!

He is going to need some time to settle in. One of the other members called it "moving sickness". If you have a glass tank covering the sides of it might help make him feel a little more secure. Try not to handle him too much. I would probably just leave him to eat on his own at the moment. Putting your hands or tongs in his face might scare him a little.

kellywiz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thank you for commenting. I just don't know what to do for the best. People talk about the 'bond' that you have with them and how friendly they are but all he seems to want to do is hide away from us. Not sure how we build a relationship with him if he doesn't want to know?? How will we know when he's ready?? Not sure what to feed him on either because I don't like putting live food in the viv I case he doesn't eat it? I'm so sorry for all the questions, we're first time parents (so to speak) and just want the best for him :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
He needs some time to get used to you. There are things you can do to help him not be afraid of you. Patience is the main thing. It may take a few days or it can take months. My girl Dexter took to us pretty quickly and is a very mild mannered dragon. Luci her younger brother was very afraid of us and we've had him for 8 1/2 months and he still jumps a little when I go to get him but then he relaxes.

Things that can help are to pet him inside his tank for a few minutes, hold him inside his tank for as long as he will let you. I would do this right before bed, when Luci had sleepy eyes because he had his guard down and was more willing to let things happen. Eventually we go to the point where he would let us hold him outside of the tank. Whatever you do, try not to flinch if he tries to bite you or jumps or anything. Don't show him that you are afraid of him. You can put a piece of your clothing in his tank to help him get used to your scent. Talk to him ALL the time so he gets used to your voice.

As far as food goes, you want to feed him whatever he will eat in 15 minutes. Sometimes they are shy eaters and don't want to eat in front of us. Always offer salad even if you don't think he's eating it. One of the other members here brought up a good point. If you have salad in the tank at all times, the uneaten insects will seek out the salad to eat before they try to bite your beardie. So don't worry too much about having the insects in the tank. I always just make sure to get all the insects out of the tank before they go to bed, just to be safe. Crickets are easy to just corner at the side of the glass and scoop up in a cup.

Bearded dragons are some of best most sweetest reptiles I have ever seen. Someone here told me when I got Dexter to stop worrying about every little thing that they do. Things that we think are signs of something wrong, could be perfectly normal for them.

Latest posts