• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dex's Eye Doing Something Weird

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Do you by chance have a T5HO or equivelent with a 10.0 bulb within 18 inches of his basking area without anything blocking the rays? My baby bearded dragons eye got irritated because i used my uvb lamp improperly same eye same deal as you. The T5HO with a 10.0 should be obstructed by mesh on a 40 gallon breeder if you want to mount it 9 inches to 15 inches range. The reflector on the fixture almost doubles the focus power of the bulb and the mesh blocks it by 40-50 % so it cancels out to being similar to just the bulb under the mesh. Complicated to learn but easy in practice according to current knowledge. New owner but I had to solve this eye problem here first so im sharing my experience. I hope this helps also Saline USP or turtle eye drops can be used to flush eyes in the future and seemed to work fine for my girl. I panicked on day 3 when she woke up and didn't want to open her eye I feel horrible fixed the issues after a ton of struggle and digging through bad information online. I have a UVB Radiometer on the way to ensure it's 100% accurate
OMG Yes I do! I have the Reptisun T8 10.0 bulb with reflector mounted under his screen. Yipes! I'm immediately moving it above his mesh right now. Thank you so much for this info! So far, his eyes aren't looking irritated. Only symptom he has is that one droopy bottom lid. Gah, I'm a horrible mum! Did your baby's eyes go back to normal once you figured out the issue? I'll keep you posted on developments once I have his UVB back on top of his screen. THANK YOU!

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
OMG Yes I do! I have the Reptisun T8 10.0 bulb with reflector mounted under his screen. Yipes! I'm immediately moving it above his mesh right now. Thank you so much for this info! So far, his eyes aren't looking irritated. Only symptom he has is that one droopy bottom lid. Gah, I'm a horrible mum! Did your baby's eyes go back to normal once you figured out the issue? I'll keep you posted on developments once I have his UVB back on top of his screen. THANK YOU!
Please do not put your T 8 on top of the screen - T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen - the droopy lid can be genetic it's not caused by dehydration - moving your T 8 will cause him to get approx 30% less uvb rays - T 5's can sit on top of the screen IF the screen is a wide hole type- fine mesh it too needs to go inside the tank

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Please do not put your T 8 on top of the screen - T 8's are not strong enough to go thru the screen - the droopy lid can be genetic it's not caused by dehydration - moving your T 8 will cause him to get approx 30% less uvb rays - T 5's can sit on top of the screen IF the screen is a wide hole type- fine mesh it too needs to go inside the tank
Hmmm . . . ok. I do have a fine mesh for screen top. He didn't seem to like the fact that his UVB light was moved to the top and started going from one of his tank to the other. I ended up moving it back beneath his screen and he settled down. Aside from the fact that his one lower lid droops very slightly he doesn't seem to be having trouble with his eyes. They are not closed, seepy, red, or swollen.

Vet couldn't find anything wrong with his eye other than the lower lid drooped slightly. She suggested it just might be the way his eyes are developing. Wouldn't be surprised if the other eye started doing it too as he grew. Told me to keep an eye on it and call if I grew concerned. He's not dehydrated and poos with the appropriate white to brown ratio. His fecal sample I brought with me looked good, though she said the white looked just a tiny bit chalky. She suggested that I cut back a little more on his calcium dustings to lighter doses or go every other day since his bugs get calcium grain and water gel and he eats those daily. Continue with his vitamin supplements like I'm doing. As long as he doesn't seem to have any eye issues I'm continuing as normal, I think.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Hmmm . . . ok. I do have a fine mesh for screen top. He didn't seem to like the fact that his UVB light was moved to the top and started going from one of his tank to the other. I ended up moving it back beneath his screen and he settled down. Aside from the fact that his one lower lid droops very slightly he doesn't seem to be having trouble with his eyes. They are not closed, seepy, red, or swollen.

Vet couldn't find anything wrong with his eye other than the lower lid drooped slightly. She suggested it just might be the way his eyes are developing. Wouldn't be surprised if the other eye started doing it too as he grew. Told me to keep an eye on it and call if I grew concerned. He's not dehydrated and poos with the appropriate white to brown ratio. His fecal sample I brought with me looked good, though she said the white looked just a tiny bit chalky. She suggested that I cut back a little more on his calcium dustings to lighter doses or go every other day since his bugs get calcium grain and water gel and he eats those daily. Continue with his vitamin supplements like I'm doing. As long as he doesn't seem to have any eye issues I'm continuing as normal, I think.
The Reptisun UVB should not cause any issues w/ his eyes they are considered safer -- I am thinking its genetic I have heard of them drooping like that -- just remember to change the UVB bulb out in 6 months -- I would recommend 5 -- you will get different behavior from them when things are not correct w / going to one side of the tank to the other w/ the UVB on top of screen would of been a flag :)

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
The Reptisun UVB should not cause any issues w/ his eyes they are considered safer -- I am thinking its genetic I have heard of them drooping like that -- just remember to change the UVB bulb out in 6 months -- I would recommend 5 -- you will get different behavior from them when things are not correct w / going to one side of the tank to the other w/ the UVB on top of screen would of been a flag :)
Thanks Sadie. Feeling lots better about his droop. Looking at it it's not bad, just was odd and sent me into panic mode. lol I do change out his UVB every six months. I have 2 spare bulbs in his cabinet already. :)

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
Sadie If you put a T5HO with a 10.0 inside of a 40 gallon breeder lid you will be delivering double the uvb needed right? If the mesh filters too much putting it inside wouldn't be a solution unless my current info is wrong without any filter the lamp would need to be 18 to 30 inches away for correct uvb 3-7 right? The Lamp itself reflects 40% more of the bulb downwards on the T5HO increasing the range a lot according to my research. Wouldn't the HO get enough uvb through both types of mesh for the synthesis process to work.

Frank the baby beardry

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I
I cut a whole in my screen so all the uvb rays can get though

JDEM10

Bearded Dragon Egg
Yeah you'd need a T5HO to go over the mesh Sadie's info is solid in your case. Sorry if i caused you any confusion.

Dexter_Dragon

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Yeah you'd need a T5HO to go over the mesh Sadie's info is solid in your case. Sorry if i caused you any confusion.
No worries! I did move it for a bit, but moved it back because he acted stressed. 'Course he stresses at any change in his tank. Crazy beardie. lol