• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

depressed dragon

Ozone17K

Bearded Dragon Egg
Can a bearded dragon become depressed. My dragon seems to lack energy. He just sleeps all day in his hide. Does anyone recommend anything? I have had him since he was a little month old. Now he's almost 2years old. Thankfully

Pat B

Super Moderator
Does he eat anything? Does he ever come out of his hide? He 'could' be in brumation. That is basically when a BD shuts down for a period of time. All they do is sleep....they do not eat or poop....just sleep. Not all beardies go into brumation but it is a normal process. It is nothing to worry about. If he has been like this for 2 weeks then I would turn off all lights and let him sleep. If he is in a high traffic area cover his tank but leave room for ventilation. My beardie went down the end of October and woke up in March. I did check him every couple of day to make sure he was still breathing. :) Good luck!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The answer is YES! They can become stressed\depressed, but Pat's reply is a very good, more likely, possibility at your BDs age & sudden behavior change. Posting a pic of your setup & as much info on your husbandry specs would be a great help in pinpointing underlying issues.

Ozone17K

Bearded Dragon Egg
This is the best picture I have of him on my phone. Im not home but ya. That's his basking spot. And ya.

2013-01-17 07.23.37.jpg

I do think his basking temp is really to low. Its like 95°f. Im working on getting a second done but summer is around the corner

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
BDs do much better under & thrive on Bright White Light, I see you use a red heat bulb. Do you use a night light? What type, brand & strength of UVB are you using? A pic showing the full enclosure & the lighting orientation in relation to the rest of the enclosure, would be more help. I have found that all of my adults always preferred 100-105F, leaning more to the 105F end.

Ozone17K

Bearded Dragon Egg
I use a 10.0 reprisun or however u spell it. And I think he's fine. Today he came out from his hide and basked. Then I got home from school and fed my dragon then my frogs so he had some time to rest after eating. After that I took him out and he ran around my game room so ya. I think he was just napping more even usual.
2013-04-05 18.58.36.jpg
2013-04-05 18.58.28.jpg

Pat B

Super Moderator
That is good he seems to be back to his normal self. About your UVB light....Is that the way the light is positioned all the time? When a UVB light goes through a screen it loses strength. If there is a way you can mount it inside your tank it is much better. I bought a cheap flourescent fixture at Walmart and hot glued it inside the tank. Works great. I then put a piece of foil over the top to direct the rays into the tank. Good luck and enjoy your baby!! :)

Ozone17K

Bearded Dragon Egg
The first picture is just Johnny cuddling up to me and sleeping and the second one is his tank. But ummm Pat, the screen isn't too bad in my opinion. The bulb is a 10.0 reptisun strip which reaches up to 12 inches down and the distance is less then 12 inches. So they kind of balance out :p but ya. He also gets vitamin powdered bugs and once or twice a week their powdered with D3. So ya.......... Johnny is back this cuddling and kiss giving self. Thanks for the tips anyways.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Latest posts