• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Demani's fake rock build

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
So, I decided to jump in and do one of these oh so popular "styrofoam and grout" rock thingies. I had plenty of scrap styrofoam around the house, and my sister has a huge tub of grout. And...I was off. I decided to post without pictures first, so I could share an early observation. I'm sure most of you have seen the commercials for Flex Seal. This is a terrific product, and I have used it to seal everything from a leaky toilet, to my gutters. For anyone who decides to do one of these builds...it does NOT play well with styrofoam. I decided to spray some on the stairs I made to give them a nice "pre-seal". Long story short, there is now a glob of white goo in my trash can, which is the remnants of what used to be styrofoam stairs. Yeah. Fun times.

Pictures to be added soon.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Here's the first picture. This is just the start. Demani is in a standard 55 gallon for now, so I didn't make it hugantic.

uploadfromtaptalk1365985879560.jpg

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Okay. Remade the stairs. They seen aren't the greatest, but I'm the least artistic person ever. First grout tomorrow.

uploadfromtaptalk1365996480300.jpg

Jesseeka

Bearded Dragon Egg
That is so neat!! What is the process for this? Do you have any instructions (blog/posts/website/etc) that you're using? Or are you just winging it?

I'd love to do something like that in Toothless's tank. :)

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
That is so neat!! What is the process for this? Do you have any instructions (blog/posts/website/etc) that you're using? Or are you just winging it?

I'd love to do something like that in Toothless's tank. :)

Personally, I'm just winging it based on other threads I've seen. The link Germ posted would be a great place to start though. ;)

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
First layer of grout

uploadfromtaptalk1366079713067.jpg

The legs kept falling off, so I pinned them on with pieces of coat hanger. If they fall off again tomorrow, I may just start over. Still, I felt like sharing the progress.

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I will need to seal this up better, but I decided to let Demani try it out, supervised, of course. I have a short video I'll post later, too. He took right to it.

uploadfromtaptalk1366322129119.jpg

sean8172

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Thanks Pat. I stayed with a solid color because I didn't want to put hours and hours of work into something he'll probably only use for a month or two. I'll make one much better once I get his new enclosure built.

Latest posts