• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dehydration

olivia.m31

Bearded Dragon Egg
I got my bearded dragon virgil in March of this year he’s 5 months old roughly, but he never seems to be drinking his water and he hates his veggies I’ve tried everything we bath him regularly and I’ve tried getting him to drink but he just won’t. I’ve had people say oh don’t worry he probably drinks when you aren’t there but he always seems to have the tightness of his skin around his back and I’m just unsure of what to do. I care about him so much and I’m just worried I’m not doing the right things. So if someone could point me into the right direction it would be so massively appreciated, I love him and I don’t want people to think I’m a bad owner I have tried everything.

Attachments

• C91B7BA5-6181-4355-88D0-0B27C3746BC6.jpeg
    C91B7BA5-6181-4355-88D0-0B27C3746BC6.jpeg
    401.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 2E03676D-03E9-41AD-A12C-6DA79DF1DE62.jpeg
    2E03676D-03E9-41AD-A12C-6DA79DF1DE62.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 46FF3817-DCA3-448F-80E6-4E0A3302093E.png
    46FF3817-DCA3-448F-80E6-4E0A3302093E.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
He looks a little dehydrated, but not the worst ive seen, this dragon in the picture is a baby so it does look a lil different, but mainly ur best indicator is their skin Or if you can catch them with their mouth open and you see strands of saliva that’s another good indicator as well how I give my bearded dragon water is mainly from her bugs but I do drip some water on the top of her snoot every single morning, Most bearded dragons will not drink from the water dish they don’t drink standing water so if you can get some kind of little teeny tiny fountain in the enclosure that may entice him to drink but for the most part you’re just adding a necessary humidity so id probably take it out but that’s up to you.

Attachments

• 2D6611B0-AAFA-4C24-B525-BE1A60349A53.jpeg
    2D6611B0-AAFA-4C24-B525-BE1A60349A53.jpeg
    609.5 KB · Views: 16

olivia.m31

Bearded Dragon Egg
He looks a little dehydrated, but not the worst ive seen, this dragon in the picture is a baby so it does look a lil different, but mainly ur best indicator is their skin Or if you can catch them with their mouth open and you see strands of saliva that’s another good indicator as well how I give my bearded dragon water is mainly from her bugs but I do drip some water on the top of her snoot every single morning, Most bearded dragons will not drink from the water dish they don’t drink standing water so if you can get some kind of little teeny tiny fountain in the enclosure that may entice him to drink but for the most part you’re just adding a necessary humidity so id probably take it out but that’s up to you.
Thank you so much, I think I’m going to have to get some hornworms like you suggested, he’s had silkworms and he loved those.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you so much, I think I’m going to have to get some hornworms like you suggested, he’s had silkworms and he loved those.
You’re welcome, i too struggle to get my beardy to eat veggies, as long as the bugs themselves are eating the veggies he should be okay.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I got my bearded dragon virgil in March of this year he’s 5 months old roughly, but he never seems to be drinking his water and he hates his veggies I’ve tried everything we bath him regularly and I’ve tried getting him to drink but he just won’t. I’ve had people say oh don’t worry he probably drinks when you aren’t there but he always seems to have the tightness of his skin around his back and I’m just unsure of what to do. I care about him so much and I’m just worried I’m not doing the right things. So if someone could point me into the right direction it would be so massively appreciated, I love him and I don’t want people to think I’m a bad owner I have tried everything.
You can put him in the bath and let the faucet drip in to the water w/ the water moving see if he will drink that way --- the best indicator for dehydration is the poop ---- the poop should be dark formed and moist and the urate white formed and moist -- if its chalky looking and dried out then he is dehydrated --- you need to start offering fresh salads every day he needs to start eating those even a little -- what have you been feeding him and I will try and give you some pointers to get him to the salad bowl --- this is the main way a dragon will get hydration - you can rinse the greens before serving --- dehydration is a good way for them to become impacted as well --- make sure your gut loading the insects like w/ carrots or squash along w/ other good foods that the dragon will eat --- that is a good way to hydrate them but you want him eating salads as when he turns around a year old that diet of bugs is going to change -

olivia.m31

Bearded Dragon Egg
He eats carrots, kale, the odd cucumber and some apple most days, that’s what we feed him and he’s eating crickets and mealworms but I’ve started getting him locusts as well

olivia.m31

Bearded Dragon Egg
He eats carrots, kale, the odd cucumber and some apple most days, that’s what we feed him and he’s eating crickets and mealworms but I’ve started getting him locusts aswepl
You can put him in the bath and let the faucet drip in to the water w/ the water moving see if he will drink that way --- the best indicator for dehydration is the poop ---- the poop should be dark formed and moist and the urate white formed and moist -- if its chalky looking and dried out then he is dehydrated --- you need to start offering fresh salads every day he needs to start eating those even a little -- what have you been feeding him and I will try and give you some pointers to get him to the salad bowl --- this is the main way a dragon will get hydration - you can rinse the greens before serving --- dehydration is a good way for them to become impacted as well --- make sure your gut loading the insects like w/ carrots or squash along w/ other good foods that the dragon will eat --- that is a good way to hydrate them but you want him eating salads as when he turns around a year old that diet of bugs is going to change -
he eats carrots, kale, cucumber, peppers and apples, we feed him crickets and mealworms and I’ve started getting him locusts aswell

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He eats carrots, kale, the odd cucumber and some apple most days, that’s what we feed him and he’s eating crickets and mealworms but I’ve started getting him locusts aswepl

he eats carrots, kale, cucumber, peppers and apples, we feed him crickets and mealworms and I’ve started getting him locusts aswell
Please no meal worms for now --- they can cause impaction since hes so young --- the cucumber and the peppers are good hydrators they have a lot of water content but no nutritional value - fruit should be fed occasionally the kale is great rinse before serving --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its got better nutritional value than collards do http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
he needs a good staple feeder and the locust are good along w/ BSFL they are great for babies -- dubia roaches silk worms and crickets ---- its good to offer a variety of foods -- make sure your dusting those insects w/ calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene --- DO NOT dust the BSFL if you get them they are calcium enriched -- hes getting the hydration out of the cukes and the green peppers so if he starts w/ runny stools and excess water those are gonna be the reason for that --

olivia.m31

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please no meal worms for now --- they can cause impaction since hes so young --- the cucumber and the peppers are good hydrators they have a lot of water content but no nutritional value - fruit should be fed occasionally the kale is great rinse before serving --- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its got better nutritional value than collards do http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
he needs a good staple feeder and the locust are good along w/ BSFL they are great for babies -- dubia roaches silk worms and crickets ---- its good to offer a variety of foods -- make sure your dusting those insects w/ calcium D3 and vitamins w/ beta carotene --- DO NOT dust the BSFL if you get them they are calcium enriched -- hes getting the hydration out of the cukes and the green peppers so if he starts w/ runny stools and excess water those are gonna be the reason for that --
Thank you so much!! I’ll look at the website and I’ll make the changes.

Monstermug

Hatchling Dragon
I found a great way to hydrate bearded dragons. I feed mine with Dubia Roaches now. I pick them up by their legs with feeding tongs and give them a spray with water. Then dip their backs into calcium supplement powder. This way they get additional water than normally and the extra calcium they need. Besides them being an all rounder perfect feeder of course. They don't smell, live for absolutely ages, breed prolifically, easy to feed and extremely nutritious with low chitin content. I keep my feeder box above the heat lamp (on top of the vivarium) which provides enough warmth needed, and fresh fruits and vegetables, for the hydration and humidity. Gut feed them with lots of watery foods like sliced oranges for that additional juiciness. Hope this helps.

Julee1971

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Always baths twice per week in lukewarm dechlorinated water for 15min minimum. Buy REPTISAFE it’s a liquid u place drops in the bathing water & it removes the chlorine. Chlorine harms/dries their skin. Some beardies don’t drink water because they can’t see still water but u can bring the dish to him and move the water with your fingers/lightly splash with fingers so he sees it moving and tap some above his nose too so that he gets some water but u always have to bath them; they absorb water thru their skin & spray them twice a day with a water bottle sprayer. Bathe them more when they are shedding. Also he looks thin; feed proteins towce a day along woth the plate of fresh greens/veggies; especially yellow squash, mustard greens, collard greens, dandelions, butternut squash, green beans and snap peas are the beat ones. if he’s over 9mnths old he needs proteins once per day & every other day if he’s over a year old. Change the UVB long light strip every 6 mnths or he will get MBD, shakes, tremors, brittle bones. The Best UVB is the Reptisun 10.0 T5; order a length that covers 70 percent of the tank and make sure he has a hideaway.

Latest posts