• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dehydrated??? Sick??? HELP

JuliaAndGobi1208

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have a 5-ish month old rescue BD, He’s been fine up until now. I always mist him after he eats and I give him a bath weekly but his skin so so wrinkled up!!! Pictures are included but i don’t know what to do and I’m super concerned for the little dude!!!! I even have a fresh bowl of water in his enclosure and he never drinks it!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 34

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
They usually won’t drink from a bowl on their own. From my research I’ve done. And I don’t believe spritzing is sufficient. I offer mine water daily and drop some on her snout. And she will realize the bowl is water and will drink. Or she will drink when I put her in her bath. You could try either of those or maybe a small dropper so that you know she is drinking. I’m sure the pros will have more advice but this is how I give my 4 month old water. Hopefully that helps and good luck

JuliaAndGobi1208

Bearded Dragon Egg
They usually won’t drink from a bowl on their own. From my research I’ve done. And I don’t believe spritzing is sufficient. I offer mine water daily and drop some on her snout. And she will realize the bowl is water and will drink. Or she will drink when I put her in her bath. You could try either of those or maybe a small dropper so that you know she is drinking. I’m sure the pros will have more advice but this is how I give my 4 month old water. Hopefully that helps and good luck
That’s a pretty good method I should try sometime, I actually stumbled across another idea though. I have a baby bubbler, it’s an air pump made for fish I believe and it’s available at Walmart or I’d assume almost anywhere else. I have the actual machine (it’s a fairly small box that runs with AA batteries) on the outside of the enclosure because it made a lot of noise when it was inside. I have the tube that attaches to it taped to the side of the tank so it wasn’t in the way of anything. I put the other end in the water and arranged it in a way that it would stay put. Gobi loves it, obviously all beardies are different but he gets super curious and hovers over it while slowly waking around it before he starts to drink it, almost as if he’s hunting the water. I can include pictures if you want to see them because if you couldn’t tell I’m not the best at describing.

SpikedLove

Bearded Dragon Egg
OK so wait. Bearded dragons come from hot dry regions. They should get plenty of moisture from food.
In this case he clearly is not, although his feeding seems normal.

I would guess parasite, worms if you will. A vet should be able to prescribe, if a vet is not an option, just look up what meds are used and dosages. If this seems like a lot, see a vet.

JuliaAndGobi1208

Bearded Dragon Egg
OK so wait. Bearded dragons come from hot dry regions. They should get plenty of moisture from food.

I would guess parasite, worms if you will. A vet should be able to prescribe, if a vet is not an option, just look up what meds are used and dosages. If this seems like a lot, see a vet.
Uh oh! I’ll book him an appointment with the vet ASAP for a checkup. I’ll make sure to look up the meds, are there any physical abnormalities from having worms or can only a vet know for sure?

SpikedLove

Bearded Dragon Egg
Uh oh! I’ll book him an appointment with the vet ASAP for a checkup. I’ll make sure to look up the meds, are there any physical abnormalities from having worms or can only a vet know for sure?

Well like a dog or cat, every things seems fine, except the hair, skin is dehydrated and the animal just keeps loosing weight even though feeding normal. It is only a problem if left untreated for a long time as to cause internal damage from starvation.

I think your guy will be fine if it is worms.

You can do your own fecal float, but you need a microscope.

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon
That’s a pretty good method I should try sometime, I actually stumbled across another idea though. I have a baby bubbler, it’s an air pump made for fish I believe and it’s available at Walmart or I’d assume almost anywhere else. I have the actual machine (it’s a fairly small box that runs with AA batteries) on the outside of the enclosure because it made a lot of noise when it was inside. I have the tube that attaches to it taped to the side of the tank so it wasn’t in the way of anything. I put the other end in the water and arranged it in a way that it would stay put. Gobi loves it, obviously all beardies are different but he gets super curious and hovers over it while slowly waking around it before he starts to drink it, almost as if he’s hunting the water. I can include pictures if you want to see them because if you couldn’t tell I’m not the best at describing.
Nice! That sounds like a good idea as well. Id love you see pics if you don’t mind. Is your baby feeling better now?

JuliaAndGobi1208

Bearded Dragon Egg
Nice! That sounds like a good idea as well. Id love you see pics if you don’t mind. Is your baby feeling better now?
Yes of course. He seems to be feeling better but someone had told me to book a vet appointment for possible worms/parasites. Ill make the appointment it’s just that they are booked up from 3 weeks to a month so I would have to wait a while. Also I noticed in the picture the water looks bad, I’m not sure why as I change it daily. I can’t take videos but he hovers above it for about 2 1/2 mins and then when he’s done trying to catch the water like a cricket he goes back to his basking spot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 21
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 24

CaHarding

Juvenile Dragon

Will all veggies
Yes of course. He seems to be feeling better but someone had told me to book a vet appointment for possible worms/parasites. Ill make the appointment it’s just that they are booked up from 3 weeks to a month so I would have to wait a while. Also I noticed in the picture the water looks bad, I’m not sure why as I change it daily. I can’t take videos but he hovers above it for about 2 1/2 mins and then when he’s done trying to catch the water like a cricket he goes back to his basking spot.
oh wow! That was really creative! I’m glad he enjoys that. Thank you for sharing

Emilia Thuet

Bearded Dragon Veteran
His skin is definitely dehydrated. I’d up his bath amount to maybe 3 times a week and maybe add in some liquid calcium to his water. Some bearded dragons can take in water through their buts so even if he’s physically not drinking the water he still could be hydrating himself. Also check his temperatures and see if anything has changed. They can be very picky animals

Latest posts