• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Darkened Tail

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Lately Tink has been glass dancing and hasn't been eating as much. Her tail looked as though she was going in to shed and now it has turned this dark color. What is this an indication of? Pic included for reference.

SAM_0063.jpg

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How long has it been like this? First glance it does look like a shed. But tail rot can cause a tail to go dark and die. Tail rot can be caused by a shed that did not complete or an injury to the tail.

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
It just started today, and it seems to lighten up when I take her out of the viv. I can't imagine her tail has been injured in any way.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Keep an eye on it. Looks like a shed. Their tails can take a bit of time to shed. I'd give her a good soak too.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Keep an eye on it. Make sure it doesn't spread or start to look funky. My guys tail also used to look like that, and it was never a problem.

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I went back through ol;d pics of Pogie and her tail does it too.

This pic is from April and her tail was like that
SNC00383.jpg

And this one from sometime in June (Sorry the tail tip not inn but you can see where it starts to darken)
SNC00755.jpg

And theres no worries there. But keep an eye out like Lisa said

Justus85

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
ok thanks for sharing Monique, i was worried cuz i have never seen her or rex do that before. since posting this the darkened tail has subsided, she sure is taking her sweet time with that tail shed, been soaking her to help out but that tail is being stubborn

Fliehigh

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
When I first looked at the picture, the only thing I thought of was stress.

Just like the stress marks on their bellies they can turn their tails black as well.

But this is just my opinion.

Fliehigh

Gail

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Nyx also gets a dark tail when she is stressed or upset about something.

Shoulon

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
I believe the darkening is due to that part of the tail not being under basking. Generally a beardy gets dark colored when its cold. Example is if u lsit ur beardy out a bak site and let him/her get cold they will become dark. then Dip them in hot water and their color will go back to normal.

Latest posts