• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Custom BD enclosure.

Solucki

Hatchling Dragon
So, I'm planning to build a bigger home for max. He's 6 months and will quickly outgrow his 29 gallon aquarium tank.
I'm planning on building a 4'wide by 2'deep by 3'high enclosure. I want to do a 2 level with stairs and a hide under the stairs. I'm gonna use slate tile floor. I'm new to keeping dragons, so what kind of issues/concerns do I need to consider when building. Sharp edges and reduced hiding spots for crickets. Anything I should or should use?

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Tall enclosures are difficult to heat & provide effective UVB. Building levels also causes shadows & blocks effective heat\light\UVB distribution. BDs are a Terrestrial creature, although they can climb very well, they don't do so well coming back down, usually jumping or falling. While they are somewhat Arboreal when youngsters, this is short lived.

Stick to a 2' high or less enclosure & avoid a lot of issues.

DarwinDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks Germ! My not so young'n is totally not interested in the log he once love to climb and chill on for hours. I just noticed this recently, and was curious. Will find something better suited!
Peace, Love and Dragons!:)

Solucki

Hatchling Dragon
Thanks. He does seem to like climbing but that good to know. I'll scratch the multilevel deal then. What should I include since I'll have plenty of room? I'm thinking a hammock would be in order.

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
IMHO the K.I.S.S method is always the best, (Keep It Simple Stupid) for any age BD. They do not need or want an obstacle course, as they get older, as adults they do not move around much, other than for feeding time, sometimes it is an event if they turn their head. The majority of the 'Fluff' that some keepers clutter their enclosures with, is for the keepers benefit & Eye Candy, without the best interests of the BD in mind.

Solucki

Hatchling Dragon
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366135255.307649.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21366135275.221821.jpg

Here's the setup he's in now. Pretty shoddy I know but it works I guess.

Latest posts