• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Curled up nails

Spikey baby

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi guys ive inherited a super bearded dragon called spike and I like to leave his glass open so he can roam around as and when he pleases but his nails are so long can I cut them ?

Spikey baby

Bearded Dragon Egg

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
If you are very careful you can cut just the tips off with a regular nail clipper. Heres a photo to give you a idea http://s991.photobucket.com/user/caz8210/media/Terry/91438Bearded_Dragon_Nail_Diagram.jpg.html

I've cut Dexter's nails before with no problem, she is very calm and sits still. Luci however is very squirmy I would never attempt to do his. I just try to make sure that they have things in their tanks that they can scratch on that will naturally file the nails down. If you are going to try to cut them, I would make sure you have a septic stick on hand to stop any bleeding if you accidentally cut too much.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
When I got my girl I had to file her nails. Use a file or an emery board in one direction only. Don't even try to do them all at once. Start with a few strokes maybe on one or two nails just so that he learns it's not going to hurt. Bedtime is best – less aggressive. My Bella still doesn't like it – but she does tolerate it

Latest posts