• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crooked tail

Mvillani79

Bearded Dragon Egg
The tail on my son's bearded dragon is very crooked, and it seems like he drags his back legs when at rest. We've seen him run and jump with ease, so I don't think he's lame, but I'm curious if there's cause for concern.
IMG_4737.JPG

He eats well, is growing quickly and seems to have no health issues apart from this incredibly crooked tail.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
There's definitely something wrong with his tail, and dragging the back legs is worrisome. Usually spinal or tail deformities are caused by MBD, unless the dragon was born with the kinks. Has his tail always been kinked?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Odd, but possibly a birth defect. If you want to get a better idea of what's going on with his tail, I'd call around to different exotic vets in your area and price an appt and x-ray. A birth defect doesn't normally change with age. I'd get him checked out for peace of mind. A check up is never a bad idea!

Cori

Juvenile Dragon
That's really weird. My first thought was MBD also. Let us know if you go see a vet

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If his tail has from hatching a kinked tail then that is birth deformity, if it has developed since hatch likely MBD and it can't be stopped, it can be slowed by calcium, and proper UVB lighting. Housing and modifications will help him get around since he has some movement issues with the back legs. this can also affect how he poops...
Are you aware of the cautions about using sand? if you are and are ok with it that's fine, if your not aware here they are: Sand over time gets injested and can become impacted, can get into the eyes/nostrils causing damage, holds in smells/bacteria..the colored sand stains them.

Please keep us posted on how things go it would be interesting and good knowledge to get his baseline xrays to see how fast/slow it is progressing.

Mvillani79

Bearded Dragon Egg
I'm planning on swapping out the sand. It's funny because the sand came with a bearded dragon start-up kit. Not sure why they would include it, given all the hazards.
I don't think it's MBD. I've been very good about sprinkling calcium on his greens every few days and he has the proper lighting.
As I said, his tail was always a little kinked from the time we got him. It's just starting to looked more pronounced as it grows.
I will definitely keep everyone in the loop should we go to the vet, and I truly appreciate your insight and help.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I'm planning on swapping out the sand. It's funny because the sand came with a bearded dragon start-up kit. Not sure why they would include it, given all the hazards.
I don't think it's MBD. I've been very good about sprinkling calcium on his greens every few days and he has the proper lighting.
As I said, his tail was always a little kinked from the time we got him. It's just starting to looked more pronounced as it grows.
I will definitely keep everyone in the loop should we go to the vet, and I truly appreciate your insight and help.

It is very common for the kits that are sold to have items that they really shouldn't have..it's a store/brand thing... marketability kind of thing..
What is your lighting? are they coil UVB or tube? should be tube like a reptisun T5 HO 10.0 is the better one than the T8, Coil bulbs cause eye damage because they focus the rays in a small area.
How old was he when you got him? The vet could do bloodwork and see what his calcium levels are..

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I avoid the kits like they're the plague. They are so misleading. So is the advice of many of the employees, very few have any reptile experience at all. I've met one good employee in person, and one on this forum.

The kits may come with sand, which is horrible for most reptiles, and harbors bacteria like a champ. Dual light domes with a basking light that are usually too low in wattage for proper temps and a coil style UVB which is damaging to the eyes. And pellet food, which is like the nutritional equivalent to giving your kid popcorn as a main staple. The kits that the stores love so much make my blood boil. Newcomers spend a ton of money on what they think will be a good thing for their dragon, only to realize they are missing a lot of essential items that their dragon needs, and don't have any money left right away to get what they need. Stepping off my soap box now haha. Moral of the story, kits are the devil :)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I agree with getting him to a vet. The fact that he is dragging his back legs makes me think that the tail is pushing on a nerve or something. As the tail gets more formed, it's going to interfere with him pooping.

Latest posts