• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crickets

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
because it got bored of crickets? possibly roaches give better chase and mealworms are easier to catch. One of my beardies will not eat anything that doesnt move at a certain speed or better. (horn worms move to slowly for him)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
They can be very picky eaters. My older girl (when she would eat salad) would only eat certain colors and it would change ever few weeks. I could buy green dandelion leafs and she'd eat them but if I tried to feed her dandelion leaf with red veins she'd turn her nose up. We are having a similar problem now with feeders, she won't eat crickets either and will only eat a few supers or horn worms.

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
They can be very picky eaters. My older girl (when she would eat salad) would only eat certain colors and it would change ever few weeks. I could buy green dandelion leafs and she'd eat them but if I tried to feed her dandelion leaf with red veins she'd turn her nose up. We are having a similar problem now with feeders, she won't eat crickets either and will only eat a few supers or horn worms.
I have seen dandilion leafs be mentioned so many times but i cant find them i really want to try them with my beardies !!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Not sure where to get them overseas but you can get them here at the stores that specialize in organic produce.

luke.bowthorpe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Crickets can be quite stressful for bearded dragon also shell to meat ratio isnt as good as other insects ... Try them with locusts

Thanks I have tried him with locusts and he kinda turns his nose up at them too. In fact he had gone off his food all together so I got roaches and worms to see if he would eat them. He is also not eating any green even when he is offered peas which he loves not sure what to try.

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks I have tried him with locusts and he kinda turns his nose up at them too. In fact he had gone off his food all together so I got roaches and worms to see if he would eat them. He is also not eating any green even when he is offered peas which he loves not sure what to try.
How long ago did u change hos uvb bulb? Does your beardie seem tired as if he cant be bothered to move or do anything?

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
Had the same bulb in for 6 months now and yeah he is like that just always tired looking and can't be bothered. Been like that for a couple of weeks now.
Myt be worth having a look for a new bulb ive heard it's good to change bulbs every 6 or 12 months. Or he could be in brumation which is bearded dragons for of a hibernation its natural for them. Also are his temperatures all ok

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The UV bulb is probably still good. Tough to say though without knowing your exact setup. How is your dragon's behavior otherwise? Normal?

luke.bowthorpe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
He seems fine just the fussy eating that I've noticed and looking tired. Not sure he is in brumation as he is less than a year. I have been struggling with the temps recently maybe that's it. The temps were fine over the winter but now spring is here they have gone up but not consistent as the weather is different each day so the house is warmer some of the day than others. I can't adjust the height of the bulb as it's fixed and tried to put a lower wattage bulb in and it was to cold. Was looking at getting a dimmer thermostat to rig up to the bulb. Any thoughts on this?

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
He seems fine just the fussy eating that I've noticed and looking tired. Not sure he is in brumation as he is less than a year. I have been struggling with the temps recently maybe that's it. The temps were fine over the winter but now spring is here they have gone up but not consistent as the weather is different each day so the house is warmer some of the day than others. I can't adjust the height of the bulb as it's fixed and tried to put a lower wattage bulb in and it was to cold. Was looking at getting a dimmer thermostat to rig up to the bulb. Any thoughts on this?
Does he seem to be pooping normally in his vivarium? He might just be having a moment with his food i find that my male tends to turn his nose up at food but eventually they will eat coz they will be hungry. Although If his temps are not high enough his body wont feel like eating also the uvb helps their body digest his viv should be atleast 95 degress on the hot side

luke.bowthorpe

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Does he seem to be pooping normally in his vivarium? He might just be having a moment with his food i find that my male tends to turn his nose up at food but eventually they will eat coz they will be hungry. Although If his temps are not high enough his body wont feel like eating also the uvb helps their body digest his viv should be atleast 95 degress on the hot side

He used to poop every day then he started going every other day now it's every three days not sure if this is normal. The temps are high enough I'm struggling to keep them down. Came in today and they were up at 53 degrees centigrade under the spot.

MisterD83

Juvenile Dragon
As his tank gets too hot he will move away from the basking area or will chill with his mouth gaping to help thermo regulate as long as you have a temperature gradiant (go from hot to cool) you should be fine.

Have you made any locational changes to his viv?

I had a female that decided that she didnt want to eat for a full week sleeping in her corner that she made for her self with her stressed colors, I was worried about impaction because of the sand substrate, but she got out of that mode after a week.

anthony.price.50767984

Juvenile Dragon
He used to poop every day then he started going every other day now it's every three days not sure if this is normal. The temps are high enough I'm struggling to keep them down. Came in today and they were up at 53 degrees centigrade under the spot.
53 deg under spotlight is low needs to be around 95+ in the hot end if the dragon is to warm they will go to the cooler end ... It deoends how much he is eating. A good thing alot of people do with their beardies is bathe them the hot water relaxs their body and there muscles it helps them poop its common for them in the bath to poop

Latest posts