• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cricket strike

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It's been about 2 weeks now. The 'babies' of mine have gone on strike! They just won't touch crickets anymore. 2 weeks ago, I bought 700-800 crickets. I've used less than 100 and now there's only about 100 left! Darn it, I wasted 30 bucks.

I've tried not feeding them proteins for a day, and still, NOPE. I tried not feeding salad OR proteins for a day, and still, NOPE. I can't go for more than a day without feeding them because I'll feel bad!!

HMMMM. All they seem to want is superworms. Well, even then, they don't eat much of those. Ace will eat around 5-10 worms (sometimes), and Baby will usually eat no more than 5. And for the past few days, Baby hasn't eaten ANY proteins. Gosh, my babies are all grown up! :') I remember the time they would eat like 30-40 crickets. Crazy!!! Now they're a year old and are slowing down quite a bit! (on food)

Now I gotta try other good staple feeders. Roaches sound nice, but having them in an apartment isn't the best idea!! I was thinking Phoenix worms... those can be a staple, right? And I think Phoenix worms aren't toooo expensive..

Just a little on my mind.

Boogiesmom

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am going thru the same thing right now. I think it is because mine are 16 months and 18 months. I notice the weather change as well. I think they are slowing down because of fall. However I say this knowing that they have had two fecals done over the last 3 months and they are all clear. I would make sure yours are clear first. Also want to note that mine have new UV light changed at 6 month so all husbandry is all OK.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Most likely they are bored with the crickets... You know what I would suggest... ;) Roaches.. Dubia roaches...

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
dragons go through bouts of this especially when they are not offered a variety of feeders. You can try roaches (various species such as hissers, turks, dubia, discoids, etc) or any number of worms. Silks and horns are great and for the problem eater you can look into www.reptiworms.com (these worms are very "wiggly" and will deffinately peak any dragons appetite)

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The problem is once you feed worms, many times they won't eat crix. I never experienced that problem since I never feed anything but crix. Spyro almost never went on a hunger strike. Occassionally he would have an "off" day, but not for long. Hunger always won.

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Piggy is on a strike too. I fed her a super as a treat and now she will not touch her crix. Of course this happened just after I ordered her 1500 she decided she will not eat them. AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH I feel your pain.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's pretty common for dragons to get bored with their food. Variety is key. Phoenix worms are good. It is said they have a lot of calcium in them. Also, keep in mind that your babies have turned 1. Their diet needs are going to shift to daily salad as the staple and proteins about 3 times per week.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Janie!! Roaches are a NO NO at this time lol... Oh gosh if I had one loose in the apartment building.... When we move out it's a different story ;)

Brian and Lisa: Never thought I'd come to this problem.... But what I did was introduce the supers to them. I would not exceed 5 a day - to make sure everything passes, and they don't become 'addicted'. I always offered crickets FIRST. Then worms. *sigh* it didn't work apparently lol.

Got it, Renee! Gosh it's going to be weird not feeding them 2x daily :(

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee hit on something. They turned a year old.
It's not uncommon for dragons to begin to slow down their protein addiction right at this mile marker. Atmospheric conditions could also be affecting appetite.

I wouldn't go with phoenix worms as a staple, but I'm just one of those people. I personally don't care for things that can survive digestion

I would most likely mix it up a bit with some silks, horns, butter and supers, a few crix along the way, and if you get to buy roaches by the dozen, buy a cup for added variety.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
I wouldn't go with phoenix worms as a staple, but I'm just one of those people. I personally don't care for things that can survive digestion

What gives you the impression they survive digestion? I feed reptiworms right now (same thing as phoenix) as the main part of my hatchling's diet and have yet to see any undigested let alone alive when passed? Is this something you saw due to lowered basking temps? Just peaked my interest as I have never seen that comment before. If you want to take it to PM so as to not hijack this thread thats cool.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I'm curious with other worms now. How long can worms (other than supers and mealies) survive? Can they survive like supers? Because they seem to do well for a few months. I just figure I could pick some up and they'll last a while till I feed them.

And I'm actually picking up some hornworms today to treat the dragons woop woop! lol.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
What gives you the impression they survive digestion?
Visuals

I feed reptiworms right now (same thing as phoenix) as the main part of my hatchling's diet and have yet to see any undigested let alone alive when passed?
I fail to see the question as indicated by the ?

Is this something you saw due to lowered basking temps?

Yes Brian, I have lowered basking temps. Of course my husbandry is out in left field. As if that's the only explanation. lol
Reptiworms, phoenix worms or any other name someone wants to invent still results in the same organism. The black soldier fly larvae. All sources claim to feed grain diets, but diet is irrelevant as to whether or not they digest at all times.

As I said.........I personally don't care for things that can survive digestion

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
beardie_love said:
I'm curious with other worms now. How long can worms (other than supers and mealies) survive? Can they survive like supers? Because they seem to do well for a few months. I just figure I could pick some up and they'll last a while till I feed them.

And I'm actually picking up some hornworms today to treat the dragons woop woop! lol.

whoop! I bet they'll have a blast.
Don't forget not to stand in the way of the "squirt"
lol

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
ladyknite said:
whoop! I bet they'll have a blast.
Don't forget not to stand in the way of the "squirt"
lol

I think I'll stay behind the glass in that case :-X yuck lol. I've already got cricket guts in my eye, nevermind hornworm guts!

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
ladyknite said:
What gives you the impression they survive digestion?
Visuals

I feed reptiworms right now (same thing as phoenix) as the main part of my hatchling's diet and have yet to see any undigested let alone alive when passed?
I fail to see the question as indicated by the ?

Is this something you saw due to lowered basking temps?

Yes Brian, I have lowered basking temps. Of course my husbandry is out in left field. As if that's the only explanation. lol
Reptiworms, phoenix worms or any other name someone wants to invent still results in the same organism. The black soldier fly larvae. All sources claim to feed grain diets, but diet is irrelevant as to whether or not they digest at all times.

As I said.........I personally don't care for things that can survive digestion

I was just wondering cause it was something I had never seen. Course my basking sites sit around 110 for babies and they are the only ones that eat the worms. I wasn't questioning your care (hope you didn't take it that way) I was just wondering where that info had come from. Ill go ahead and tap out.

oh and that was a accidental question mark haha. I was typing too fast I guess.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
my basking sites are 110 at the minimum on most accounts.

I'm honestly not very impressed with nutritional data comprised in the worms. With all the hype over the last decade, I was expecting so much more.

They're lower in protein that even mealies sitting at just over 17%. Wax worms being the treat food with lower protein than that.

For dragons, a species that thrives on protein intake as a baby, it doesn't add up.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Is there anything to recommend those worms for dragons ? Or would they be appropriate for say, geckos ?

Latest posts