• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cricket shortage!

Rexrandria

Bearded Dragon Egg
How long can my 10 month beardie go without crickets? I always get them from the same place but they were out when I went on Saturday. Every other place was closed and closed on Sunday as well. When I went today, they were still out and so were the only other two places in my area. This has never happened before and I’m panicking. I will be able to get him some tomorrow (they said they will have their order in then) but will he be okay?? I only had about 10 left to give him on Saturday so today will be two full days without any. ): I obviously leave him a generous salad every day.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
How long can my 10 month beardie go without crickets? I always get them from the same place but they were out when I went on Saturday. Every other place was closed and closed on Sunday as well. When I went today, they were still out and so were the only other two places in my area. This has never happened before and I’m panicking. I will be able to get him some tomorrow (they said they will have their order in then) but will he be okay?? I only had about 10 left to give him on Saturday so today will be two full days without any. ): I obviously leave him a generous salad every day.
Technically they can go months without food, but thats only through brumation, if hes healthy and has fat deposits, he can go a couple days no bugs just fine.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would switch over to dubias they are a better feeder anyway ---- and they last longer and more filling - I can give you a website for crickets they are on the pangeareptiles website https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/crickets.html I dont know how good they are but if they are on this website I would say they are good --- have done alot of business w/ this place and they are great for getting supplies from --- the roaches I would recommend some websites as well but the best and most reasonable has been www.dubiaroaches.com -- the roaches are easier to keep --- 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food w/ some water crystals and what ever else you feed your dragon -- I have found they are not hot on greens but will eat carrots - squash and fruit --- feed them at night --- that way they are good a gut loaded when you feed your dragon in the morning --- make sure your dusting the insects w/ the calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding --- what are you using for a UVB? this will determine how often you should be giving the calcium after a year

Rexrandria

Bearded Dragon Egg
I would switch over to dubias they are a better feeder anyway ---- and they last longer and more filling - I can give you a website for crickets they are on the pangeareptiles website https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/crickets.html I dont know how good they are but if they are on this website I would say they are good --- have done alot of business w/ this place and they are great for getting supplies from --- the roaches I would recommend some websites as well but the best and most reasonable has been www.dubiaroaches.com -- the roaches are easier to keep --- 10 gallon aquarium feed dubia food w/ some water crystals and what ever else you feed your dragon -- I have found they are not hot on greens but will eat carrots - squash and fruit --- feed them at night --- that way they are good a gut loaded when you feed your dragon in the morning --- make sure your dusting the insects w/ the calcium D3 5 x per week ONCE per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week ONCE per feeding --- what are you using for a UVB? this will determine how often you should be giving the calcium after a year
How many dubias do you feed them a day/week? He’s definitely not eating as many crickets as he did as a baby but he’s been waiting in the corner where I usually drop them, just waiting. I feel terrible. Luckily, he’s about to shed so his appetite isn’t as big as normal. I have a 24” 10.0 UVB from ZooMed. I’ve done a lot of research but I’m reading so much on this site that I feel like I don’t know half of it now. I sprinkle calcium on his veggies every other day (because that’s what the container says to do) Should I still be putting them on the insects too?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How many dubias do you feed them a day/week? He’s definitely not eating as many crickets as he did as a baby but he’s been waiting in the corner where I usually drop them, just waiting. I feel terrible. Luckily, he’s about to shed so his appetite isn’t as big as normal. I have a 24” 10.0 UVB from ZooMed. I’ve done a lot of research but I’m reading so much on this site that I feel like I don’t know half of it now. I sprinkle calcium on his veggies every other day (because that’s what the container says to do) Should I still be putting them on the insects too?
Dust the insects not the salad- he needs the insects dusted w/ calcium D 3 5 x per week once per feeding vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding--- the T 5 needs to be inside the tank if your screen is a fine mesh- 12-15 inches directly above the basking decor-- if you have a wide holed it can sit on top.w/ a distance of 8-10 inches directly above the basking decor- when he gets to be a year old and insects get reduced to 2-3 times per week then you need to dust w/ calcium D 3 2 times per week and calcium w/ no d 3 no phosphorus- vitamins can still be fed if he's eating good salads then the vitamins aren't required so much - he will get the nutrients out if them

Latest posts