• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Could this be tail rot?

Esmith

Bearded Dragon Egg
I work at a pet store and we have this bearded dragon someone brought in as a baby and the guy said his tank mate bit his tail. So my manager said to keep it in the back and do what we can but (his words) "it's only a matter of time" well that was like 3 or 4 months ago and he has gotten much bigger and his a good appetite. So I guess my question is is this tail rot? Has it spread to his back? How can I treat this??

Attachments

• 20170205_075238.jpg
    20170205_075238.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • 20170205_075154.jpg
    20170205_075154.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just by looking, it's hard to say what exactly is going on with his back. The tail tip is definitely dying. He'll need antibiotics to stop the spreading in his tail and it will eventually isolate itself and fall off. My little guy lost about an inch and a half of his tail. You'll need a vet visit to get the meds, and the vet should be able to figure out what's going on with his back. No offense, but your manager is a fool if he thinks tail rot is an "only a matter of time" situation. If you get him to a vet and treat him, he'll be fine, unless he has another underlying issue, which isn't outside of the realm of possibility.

In the meantime, that baby needs a 105F basking spot and a good UVB tube style (not coil style) bulb. Feeders dusted with calcium and multivitamin. And an appointment with an experienced reptile vet, to give him his best chance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It almost looks like the back is starting to shed. They usually get that dull color when they shed but I can't be sure. The tail looks like it was caught in something like a door. If you could have a vet look at him, I think that would be a good idea.

Latest posts