• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cookie still isn't eating.

AdamWTF

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay so Cookie still isn't really eating. I gave him a bath this morning again and he seemed to enjoy it. Went to feed him again after and he hasn't eaten any crickets at all. I went to a pet store today to buy some new crickets, smallest ones they had. He's still turning his nose up at them... He isn't interested at all. Also he's not been eating any veg... As you guys saw from his pics he's tiny and very thin. Getting really worried about him now. Any ideas please on how I may get him to eat something properly?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How have you had him again? It took mine about a week to start eating and about 2 to eat good. Try not to hold him/her, limit it to just the needed handling, cleaning viv, daily baths. I know it is hard and you want to hold it but it is better if you dont.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I think I read on the other thread that you had Cookie for 2 days. It could just be relocation stress that your little Cookie is going through. It will just take some time for Cookie to get used to everything.

AdamWTF

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
According to the pet shop we brought him from he was 4 weeks old, we've had him 3 days.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Got busy here at work after having started this post. Looks like you've got some responses, since, but I'll go ahead and include mine, too.

AdamWTF said:
Okay so Cookie still isn't really eating. I gave him a bath this morning again and he seemed to enjoy it. Went to feed him again after and he hasn't eaten any crickets at all. I went to a pet store today to buy some new crickets, smallest ones they had. He's still turning his nose up at them... He isn't interested at all. Also he's not been eating any veg... As you guys saw from his pics he's tiny and very thin. Getting really worried about him now. Any ideas please on how I may get him to eat something properly?

Just time. Honestly, the more you try to do with him, the longer the acclimation could take. It's usually 3 to 4 days acclimation period. And, usually, they spend those days not eating. I know it's hard....but necessary. Trust us....we've all been there.

I don't remember seeing a covering on the tank. By covering, I mean the glass walls. I'd put some construction paper or something on the walls to help him feel more secure. It's bad enough being in a new environment. But add everything in the room to that equation and the little guy just gets plain intimidated. By covering the walls, he's only having to deal with what inside the tank for those first few days....and acclimation will go much smoother. He might even take to eating something if he feels secure enough.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree. I know it is nerve wracking, but the little guy just came home. And if he is only 4 weeks old, that is very young.

Craiger has a great suggestion with covering the walls. Try and limit handling him too. Right now, you are a giant predator to him. Once he realizes that you are his food source, you'll start the fun.

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Renee said:
And if he is only 4 weeks old, that is very young.

Yeah, 4 weeks is VERY young. This is one of the things I really don't like about pet shops. Most reputable breeders won't even think about selling them 'til they're 8 to 10 weeks old. At 4 weeks, the little guy's really still trying to just get acclimated to the outside world. Throw in a brand new environment with different "big people"....it's no wonder they get so scared.

Patience is your friend. ;)

Vesta

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I love this thread you guys!!! It reminds me of when we first brought our guys home and how concerned we are. So glad he has this forum and everyone is so kind about answering his questions!!

Try not to worry. If you have your setup and temps right he just needs a few more days!! The not handling part is important too and the hardest for me to follow when I started freaking out!!

AdamWTF

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Your not the only one! :') I found this place by mistake but I must say I'm so glad I did. Thanks loads for all the advice you have all given me, I really do appreciate it. It's weird tbh... While I was typing this to you all my gf had him in her hand seeing if she could get him to eat some carrot she held to his mouth. He did actually start nibbling it. I gave him a cricket while he was on her and he ate that up too. Then placing him on the bed he ate another. However he stopped eating from then so I placed him back in his viv following the advice of you lot really. However I can't lie curiosity caught me and I threw another cricket into his viv moments ago, he did eat that however he wasn't interested in any more.

ladyknite

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
hey Adam........Craig gave you some good advice concerning covering the sides of the tank. And Renee's recommendation on limiting handling as well. You might also consider using a "crock" type bowl to put his crickets into for now. something similar to this will keep them in and allow him to go to them.

CeramicCrock.jpg

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
That's great news and a start! A little bit is better than nothing. Keep in mind that he needs the heat in the UV to properly digest his food. So, if you do feed him outside of it, get him back in as soon as he is done so he can digest everything.

AdamWTF

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I would go with an idea like that however tbh I'm pretty sure anything I put in that's big enough for him to happily climb in and out of, the crickets tbh could jump out. He really is tiny atm so yeah don't really see it as a real option and I'm truly fed up already of chasing crickets around his viv when I realise he's not interested.

AdamWTF

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Renee said:
That's great news and a start! A little bit is better than nothing. Keep in mind that he needs the heat in the UV to properly digest his food. So, if you do feed him outside of it, get him back in as soon as he is done so he can digest everything.

We do do this anyway, we knew from the start for a while it would mean not really handling. I won't say we haven't cause ofc we have, end of the day we want him to be used to us and such. The only times we do handle him really is bath time, feeding time, general clean up of the viv and when he's dancing on the glass. We tend to open the glass as he does this and he will walk straight onto our hands without a worry. He tbh doesn't seem scared of us at all. ???

Craiger

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
It's good that he's not running away from you. Things sound okay....but I'd still cover the sides of the glass just for good measure.

Latest posts