• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Constipated bearded dragon

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
He’s 5 months old and it has been 4 weeks since he’s really gone to the bathroom. There was a tiny bit the other day but very little and very dry. I took him to the vet again. They x-rayed, gave him laxative and more dewormer. I got a new reptisun T5HO terrarium hood and bulb but I’m still confused about this light. It does not replace his heat lamp correct? Just the other bulb that is on when it’s not. I need some clarification, someone please help. Also do I just sit it on his terrarium cover? It does not have s as way to mount it. ‍♀️

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Use zip ties to mount it inside, first make a loop around both ends around the fixture itself, then pull some zipties through ur sceen, the t5 would do best in the enclosure, but if you do have wide holes it can go on top, the t5 ONLY replaces ur other uvb, you need two different bulbs, one for heat 75watt-125watt (depending on tank size and height) and one long tubular uvb light preferably 50-70% the length of the enclosure.

Skybug

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
I have mine attached differently than how you’ll have yours but the concept is the same, you can also use “wire ties”

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He’s 5 months old and it has been 4 weeks since he’s really gone to the bathroom. There was a tiny bit the other day but very little and very dry. I took him to the vet again. They x-rayed, gave him laxative and more dewormer. I got a new reptisun T5HO terrarium hood and bulb but I’m still confused about this light. It does not replace his heat lamp correct? Just the other bulb that is on when it’s not. I need some clarification, someone please help. Also do I just sit it on his terrarium cover? It does not have s as way to mount it. ‍♀️
Distance for the T 5 needs to be 12-15 inches directly over a piece of basking decor inside the tank - this is going to help- what size insects are you feeding him? Nothing bigger than the space between his eyes length wise ---- no meal worms and lay off any supers your feeding for now ----- make sure your basking temps are 105-110 for now as they get older they dont like temps so hot but this temp is important to start digestion --- and that temp needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- he needs to be hydrated and being fed salads every day --- he should be pooping every day --- try feeding some canned pumpkin w/ a drop or two of olive oil and a drop of honey for sweet ---- feed till he poops this is a natural laxative --- was a fecal done to see if he HAD worms?
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties fishing line-- potted plant wire hangers-- or this stuff I use it in my tanks its a like a Velcro strap cut in to strips then wrap around your fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
Distance for the T 5 needs to be 12-15 inches directly over a piece of basking decor inside the tank - this is going to help- what size insects are you feeding him? Nothing bigger than the space between his eyes length wise ---- no meal worms and lay off any supers your feeding for now ----- make sure your basking temps are 105-110 for now as they get older they dont like temps so hot but this temp is important to start digestion --- and that temp needs to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- he needs to be hydrated and being fed salads every day --- he should be pooping every day --- try feeding some canned pumpkin w/ a drop or two of olive oil and a drop of honey for sweet ---- feed till he poops this is a natural laxative --- was a fecal done to see if he HAD worms?
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties fishing line-- potted plant wire hangers-- or this stuff I use it in my tanks its a like a Velcro strap cut in to strips then wrap around your fixture https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-15-ft-Cable-Ties-Hook-and-Loop-Spool-Black-10375/304220195
The vet told me no crickets for now. He hasn’t eaten them since he has been constipated. He’s been offered them and didn’t want them. Instead I was told to give him oxbow critical care and offer him squash, melon, berries, and kale. Until he’s eating in his own again and pooping. I’m having to force feed the oxbow. He’s only interested in a few drops of anything puree. He’s getting a laxative twice daily and a dewormer. They didn’t get a fecal, he’s so constipated. So a fecal was a problem getting a problem getting I guess. They didn’t say they tried. They did an X-ray and said he was severely constipated. I changed his light (uvb) and they actually told me to his regulate his basking temp to 90 with 60% humidity during the day and 80 with 40% humidity at night

Jrmcearl

Bearded Dragon Egg
I have mine attached differently than how you’ll have yours but the concept is the same, you can also use “wire ties”
Thank you! This helps. My top cover doesn’t gave anything to attach it to. May have to make small holes in cover to attach

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The vet told me no crickets for now. He hasn’t eaten them since he has been constipated. He’s been offered them and didn’t want them. Instead I was told to give him oxbow critical care and offer him squash, melon, berries, and kale. Until he’s eating in his own again and pooping. I’m having to force feed the oxbow. He’s only interested in a few drops of anything puree. He’s getting a laxative twice daily and a dewormer. They didn’t get a fecal, he’s so constipated. So a fecal was a problem getting a problem getting I guess. They didn’t say they tried. They did an X-ray and said he was severely constipated. I changed his light (uvb) and they actually told me to his regulate his basking temp to 90 with 60% humidity during the day and 80 with 40% humidity at night
The 90 degree temp is too low for basking --- it needs to be 105-110 for a 5 month old dragon - this would be a reason why hes constipated - that temp is going to start digestion and if its too low that wont happen - the UVB is going to help him absorb the calcium hes getting ---- usually if the dragon is pooping w/ the low basking temp your going to get undigested insects --- deworming a dragon w/ out finding out if they actually have worms is not good -- your only compounding the issue because the dewormer will cause them NOT to eat --- optimal humidity in a tank is 35-50% --- and that should be taken w/ a digital probe hygrometer probe placed on the back wall center of the tank ----- I am sorry but your vet needs to be replaced w/ a vet who knows reptiles --- if you get your basking temps to what they should be along w / the T 5 like I posted earlier and the natural laxative of pumpkin your going to have better results --- I am sorry but the info you got from the vet is not going to help --- this stuff is really good oxbow critical care but make sure your watering it down for hydration another key thing about being constipated they need hydration and I would give no more dewormer till you find out for sure he has parasites --- and that I would take in to the vet for testing when he does go poop to find out for sure ---- NO ENEMAS -- they often end in disaster and I would look at finding a different vet www.arav.org

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I should have added in here when the dragon is around 6 months old his temps will change to a 95-100 temp as they get older dragons do not like hotter temps - so if the temp is too hot at the 105- adjust it to the 95-100 --- but those temps need to be taken w/ a digital probe thermometer

Latest posts