• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Considering Adding a Vertical Section

GeckoDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi all, new here. Mushu (apparently a popular name), loves to jump and climb, so I'm considering adding a vertical section for him. This would be an addition to the custom enclosure I build for him, which has interior dimensions ~6x2x2 ft. My current thought is a 2ft wide, 2ft tall section added to the right side, for a total of 4ft tall. My main concern is whether or not I need to design it to prevent too high of a drop for him. He really enjoys jumping off of things...

Attachments

• 20230119_001314.jpg
    20230119_001314.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230119_001329.jpg
    20230119_001329.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 18

GSieg

Hatchling Dragon
Get a t5 uvb coils can cause health issues.

As for fall I wouldnt personally worry too much about a drop like you are talking about, but maybe a structure for basking would make sense.

GeckoDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
There's a 48" T5 w/ reflector installed on the interior, the frame just hides it. The lamps on top are basking and ceramic IR bulbs

GSieg

Hatchling Dragon
Perfect, yea it hides it very well. I would get basking surfaces closer to the heat lights still, something that absorbs heat like stone (surface temp 100-110). Currently it looks like they bask in the hammock, it's nice and all but they really need that belly heat. The flooring is fine but it's too far from the light to do that job.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
There's a 48" T5 w/ reflector installed on the interior, the frame just hides it. The lamps on top are basking and ceramic IR bulbs
Since I cant see the placement of the UVB if there is no decor under it please get a piece directly under approx 12-15 inches- as far as the dragon jumping off of things that is not a good idea - too much risk for injuries - dragons like floor space - especially older dragons - the babies have a tendency of jumping off of people and other things like furniture and end up getting hurt really bad-- IR lamp is that a colored lamp?

GeckoDragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
Interesting, thanks for the advice yall. The lid on there right now is temporary, eventually I want to build a better one with the heat lamps integrated. Raising the hammock is probably a good idea, especially since I just moved to Minnesota and its getting cold. Maybe I'll build a platform with a rock on top, too. I'd love to figure out a way to heat the tiles from underneath, but they're in there loose on top of (sealed) plywood, so I don't think standard under-tank heating mats would be a good idea

As for the UVB, the reflector is mounted at an angle so it shines directly on his basking area

No, IR is just a normal ceramic heat lamp. Heat radiates in the infrared part of the spectrum though, so it's still a "light" bulb, just not the kind of light we can see. So I've just always called them IR lamps
20231028_144350.jpg

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Interesting, thanks for the advice yall. The lid on there right now is temporary, eventually I want to build a better one with the heat lamps integrated. Raising the hammock is probably a good idea, especially since I just moved to Minnesota and its getting cold. Maybe I'll build a platform with a rock on top, too. I'd love to figure out a way to heat the tiles from underneath, but they're in there loose on top of (sealed) plywood, so I don't think standard under-tank heating mats would be a good idea

As for the UVB, the reflector is mounted at an angle so it shines directly on his basking area

No, IR is just a normal ceramic heat lamp. Heat radiates in the infrared part of the spectrum though, so it's still a "light" bulb, just not the kind of light we can see. So I've just always called them IR lamps
View attachment 34866
Dragons heat from their backs not stomachs - the uvb needs to be directly above him 12-15 inches-

Latest posts