• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Confused on heat and UVB location

jasvncnt1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Hi all. Have been reading up on this site and its wonderful. So much info so I just joined. I have an adult beardy in a 40 breeder. I just changed from sand to tile about a week ago. So far he is not very happy lol but I know it takes some time to adjust. OK on to my question. Ive been reading so much that I think I just confused myself more. I have the basking area toward the very front left of the tank. My repti 10.0 runs along the rear of the tank. I also do not use a lid. Im realizing from what I have been reading that this is pretty much the wrong way. I believe the right way is to have the UVB run along side of the basking light? For some reason I just cant picture in my head how t oset it up. The UVB is in a hood right now. I see some people using a fixture from walmart and hanging it inside the cage. Which leaves another question. I thought its better to have some sort of reflecting for the UVB and also that the UVB should be facing down toward the bottom of tank? Im sorry to write so much and be all over the place. Just confused. Thanks

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Here is the way that I mount and position the UV fixture in Mungi's 40 gallon Breeder enclosure...I do use the cheap fixture from walmart and it is hotglued to the inside back and side wall of the tank approximately 1 inch below the rim of the tank.

The basking bulb is suspended so that it is centered over the basking spot and the UV fixture is mounted so the the center of the bulb which is where the majority of the UV is emmitted is inline with the basking light and so that both lights shine down on the basking spot.
I also use a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil to help intensify and direct the UV light down onto the basking spot.
Hope this helps:)

UVmountOne600x486_zps91a9ad00.jpg

UVmountThRee600x466_zpsfb7ebd8a.jpg

jasvncnt1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you so much for answering. So the UVB does not need to be directly over the basking area or facing directly down?

jasvncnt1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
OK think I understand now. Im going to try it that way for sure tonight then. Thanks! On a side note..you use sand?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
Mungi is 2 1/2 years old and is almost 18 inches in length. I use Quikrete Premium Washed, Screened Children's Playsand that I purchase pretty much exclusively from the Lowes store here. This particular brand and sand in my area is the best and I have tried them all.
Washed and Screened Children's Playsand is a perfectly safe alternative substrate for adult bearded dragons and dragons that are over 10 inches in length from snout to tail tip and with a proper sized/age and well hydrated dragon there is little to no impaction risk and has been used safely for decades.
It is not safe for baby or juvenile dragons and should not be considered for use until they are proper size and older. :)
Enjoy!

jasvncnt1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Great if the tiles dont work out Ill go back to sand. Im going to walmart tonight is there anything special i need to look for in the type of light fixture I buy?

Mungi's Buddha

Bearded Dragon Veteran
1,000+ Post Club
The one that I use is just an 18" under-the -cabinet mount fixture...I am pretty sure they are only $10 dollars or less they also have other sizes there but I have found that the 18" works best in a 40 gallon breeder tank. It allows for the UV and basking lights to be properly set up on one end and foe there to be the proper temp gradient to the other cool side end of the enclosure. I also use a very low watt florescent bulb light over the coolside but just for ambient light during the day and it improves the video when Mungi's Live-streaming Webcam is up. I'm not sure how old your dragon is but don't use the sand unless it is appropriate size/age.

jasvncnt1

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thank you so much for your time and knowledge. My bearded is 5 years old now.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

thorn

Hatchling Dragon
I just bought a 30 inch hood for my UVB needs. It gives off way more light than the old light did.

Latest posts