• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

concerned!! help ASAP!!

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thanks everyone....you are all great people!!! :)
Lightning and I thank you very much!

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Found this on another site --- Special fluroescent bulbs can be found at pet stores, and these will likely run the length of the tank, but be sure they are overlap the basking area. Your bearded dragon should be able to get within 6-8 inches of these lights to benefit from the UV emitted --- is this true???
6-8 inches is not far --- is his tank the issue?? He is in a 40 gallon fish tank, with the lights on top of the black wired lid.....they are the proper holders for lights (attached pictures below)
IMG_0731.jpg
his home...
IMG_0728.jpg
him sleeping right now....

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
His tank was sand -- only posts today said to change it.
He now has a sand area and green terrarium liner in 3/4 of the tank....

Pogie

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Special fluroescent bulbs can be found at pet stores, and these will likely run the length of the tank, but be sure they are overlap the basking area. Your bearded dragon should be able to get within 6-8 inches of these lights to benefit from the UV emitted --- is this true???
Yes this is true, they are referring to tube UV lights like the Reptisun 10.0 UVB.

6-8 inches is not far --- is his tank the issue?? He is in a 40 gallon fish tank, with the lights on top of the black wired lid.....they are the proper holders for lights (attached pictures below)
Nope 6-8 inches isnt all that far but it works well. Im not familiar with the setup youre running as I have a wood viv with sliding glass doors and the UV tube and basking light are fitted inside mine.
There are members here however who has the same type of setup you do, so hopefully they can assist you more here.

His tank was sand -- only posts today said to change it.
He now has a sand area and green terrarium liner in 3/4 of the tank....
Sand is not the best substrate for babies (it has impactation risks as well as hygeine issues. But its your choice) , what type of sand are you using? If you feel you want to stay with it normal washed kids playsand is the best. Dont use the "special" types the petstores offer.
The repticarpet you have is good, other great safe substrates are textured ceramic tile, non adhesive shelf liner, paper towels, newspaper.

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
It is 7:45am, Lightning is about the same this morning as he was yesterday.
Came to tank to see him,and he is still very sleepy....not moving at all. When I picked him up,he moved his paw, but just laid on my hand with his eyes closed.
Heat lamp is on....UV lamps are on.
Praying that when he warms up a bit, he will become more active. :)
I hardly slept at all last night,so scared I would wake up to him no longer alive.
I just feel so helpless....

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So it doesn't look like you have the correct uvb. It what I see is accurate, you have a coil or a bulb style. They don't work well not enough uvb. You need a tube style repti sun 10.0. It is the best and works great. As for heat, you can use a regular household bulb. Easy and cheap. He does need to get within 6-8" of the uvb...but at this point it doesn't seem he could climb to well. But just having the correct one in there does make a world of difference. Take a look at pics on here to see how people have theirs set up to get him up there.

Is the sand...regular washed sifted playsand?

Has he done any flipping yet this morning?

Don't forget the digi and you should be able to get the repti sun 10.0 tube uvb at the store. Go to a DIY for the holder.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sorry. Do It Yourself. Home Depot. Lowes. Hardward store.

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Lightning still not eating and sleeping majority of the time. Offered food at 9am,and then again at 1pm -- shows NO interest at all. Letting crickets just climb on him. :(
He has moved if I have placed in him a location that he didnt want to be in,but walks there and then instantly asleep again.
Lowered UV light closer to him -- still the bulb, until I can get him the tube one. Since lowering UV light he is opening his eyes more, but still seems very weak.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I hate to be a pain, but if it isn't the right one, it can actually do harm. Really important to get the correct one asap. Did you get the digital thermometer?

Also...the next poop he has I would suggest taking it to a vet and just have them run a fecal on it to check for parasites. It isn't a huge cost just for that.

Have you called the pet store to see if any others from this batch are doing as poorly?

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am completely unfamiliar with any of these things -- the light, building a holder, etc My hubby is gone for 5 days - can anyone give me a detail instruction on HOW to do this??

It is Sat.all our vets are closed except for after hours and that costs $75 just to call them in. :(
A online vet told me to bath him in pedialite and water (50/50) does this sound right to anyone???

Yes, got thermometer and all is fine with temperatures.

Pet stores -- all other breadies have been sold, and according to them noone else has reported an issue.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
The fecal can wait until Monday. If he poops tomorrow put it in a baggie and in the fridge to keep it fresh. 24 hours is really all it can be held for.

Here are some pics of what you need.
This is the uvb you need. Get the longest one that will fit across the top of the tank. Keep in mind you will have a dome for the heat bulb.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/...42-504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10-0-uvb-bulb.html
This is the fixture you would put it in. Keep in mind you can use any flourescent fixture that you could buy at a hardware store. It will be cheaper.
http://www.petmountain.com/product/...2-517291/zoo-med-reptisun-terrarium-hood.html

Here is a pic of what my guys set up used to look like.
Looking at it..the left side was the heat dome. The middle is the uvb (this is a combo hood, don't get that type, just the flourescent like I showed you above).
Tileandcarpet.jpg

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am curious....why is this light better then the dome one that we have? I am just curious as to what makes it better ----

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Cleaned and placed a rock into Lightnings tank and he seems to happily sit on it and sleep in the basking area ---
Online vet told me one of the best things I can do is leave him alone for the day and see if maybe he is just stressed -- but with leaving him alone -does this mean, no baths -no offering of food?? (although food has been refused and he is just sleep - so it likely doesnt matter).
Meeting with a breeder tomorrow and he will look at Lightning for me.
Petstore extended warrenty and will refund or exchange if I want -- but that just seems heartless unless I do everything I can for lightning! :) Only 6 days, and I already love the little guy.

Also...do flips mean something bad or could they be playing?? Flips onto side and back but instantly back to belly now, instead of staying in that position (so definitely an improvement from last night)

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Lightning just ate from a syringe!! I am about to cry I am so happy!! He ate! I made a mixture of apple sauce (baby unsweeteneed) and escarole! and he ate it!

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Not exactly sure. It just is better. I'm still not sure what you have. You just said a 10.0. I am assuming it is a rept glo. Regardless, the tube uvb lights give off much more uvb than do the coil or round ones. The Repti glo 10.0 have been known to do hard. Your guy will have a much better chance in life if you have the correct uvb. As for your heat...I forget the bulb you have, but if it is made for heat it is fine. Just realize that you can just use a regular household bulb in the future. Much cheaper.

No, flipping isn't a form of playing. It normally suggested either a virus or a neurological problem. Either one isn't a good sign. Possibly it was a fluke and he won't do it again...maybe, not normal, but I won't say it can't happen.

I agree about leaving him alone. You can skip taking him out of his tank for soaks. You only need to do that 2x a week anyways. As long as he is well hydrated he will be fine. As for the not pooping, well he isn't eating.

That is great that he ate from a syringe. Make sure you are putting the food on his lips or the side of his mouth. Don't squirt directly down his throat. That will cause different problems. Here is a great "slurry mix" to use to help. What u used is okay, but applesauce isn't great for an extended period.

Gina’s Slurry mix.

Use good greens (collard, mustard, endive, turnip, butternut squash)
crix
calcium
water or pedialyte
acidophilus (you can get this at a vitamin shop. make sure you get the powder or capsule so you can break it open. Also make sure it is soy based, not dairy)

This is the starter formula. Mix into liquid in a blender. the owner will not want to use the blender again. lol.....but keep it for animals.
Syringe feed or drip on nose.

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
thank you!!
How often should i feed him this mixture? I feel like screaming to the world that he ate! :)
Is Kale good for him?? I heard mixed reviews and want your opinion....

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
No..Kale is not good. It actually has too much calcium. Much like spinach. I know that sounds off since we are always touting to give calcium dust on crix. But the kale and spinach can cause calcium binding. Some good greens to start:
dandelion, escarole, bok choy, swiss chards, escarole, collard greens.

I know I sound like a broken record, but when your lights go out and you can see into the bulb, can you tell me the exact name and % of the uvb you are using.

Wanda

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
UVA SUNGLO 100w
uvb 10.0 26 Watt
and a 75 watt infared red night light (only if it is cold in the house)

Latest posts