• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Comatose crix

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
In our last 2 batches of crickets, we have noticed a weird behavior. When we poured them into the box at first, they were all alive and active. The next day, most of them didn't move and were lying on their backs, But when we picked them up or touched them, they would seize/move/squirm a little. Do you know what might've caused this, or if it has happened to anyone else? We orded them from LLLreptiles, in Calafornia. Is it a normal behavior, or a sign of desease or something wrong?

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Do you have enough egg crates and empty TP rolls in there? What d you use for water? Is it well ventilated? It could be a problem with the setup or they may be the crickets with the virus.

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
We have 3 at the moment (egg crates, but I can add more). The sterilite bin does not have a top,so ventilation is not an issue. We don't have a water cup in there, but we feed them greens and potatoes.

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
How many crickets did you order? It may be an issue of there not being enough hiding places or the cricket parvovirus but I'm thinking it's the latter of the 2

beardielover17

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I would call LLL and let them know about the crickets if you haven't done so already. Since they are 3/4ths I'm leaning even more towards infected crickets

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
are the crickets turning black? Have then been around any chemicals? most times when they flip on their back it means they have been exposed to a chemical that is toxic to them. The chemical can be something as simple as what you use to clean your floors. Or some kind of cleaner dried on your hands when you moved them to their bin.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yesssssssssssssss.

If you need to clean, use either vinegar or rubbing alcohol.. neither leaves residuals.

Beardie_Mommy3991

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Thank you guys so much for clarifying XD I was starting to get worried I had a black thumb for keeping crix. We have them in a different bin now, and no more have died. :) We will have to see if the next batch I get will live. By the way, what are good greens/veggies to feed crix. Im against putting the water thing in there, so I hydrate with veggies. Thank you guys again :D

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think the bleach is what is doing it. I would get a new bin and I think your problem will be fixed. When I would clean my cricket bin I used Dawn dish soap. It is antibacterial and it did not seem to affect the crix. Just remember rinse, rinse, rinse.

When I kept crickets I fed only collards. they would eat the stems and get the water. You can also put carrots in for hydration as they do not mold like a potato does. But I like to only feed what I feed my dragons.

Latest posts