• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Coccidia

cgagliardi8

Bearded Dragon Egg
So, my beardies stool sample came back and showed he has coccidia… which sucks but I just picked up his medicine today and gave him his first dose. My question is what do I have to do to his tank…? The pharmacist or vet didn’t tell me any of that stuff.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
So, my beardies stool sample came back and showed he has coccidia… which sucks but I just picked up his medicine today and gave him his first dose. My question is what do I have to do to his tank…? The pharmacist or vet didn’t tell me any of that stuff.
Please take most of the decor out only leave one basking decor piece 2 if you need to-- what kind of substrate? Sand? textured shelf liner? Please get some F 10 vet cleaner and you will need to disinfect the tank every time he poops so your killing the parasite and so he does not re infect himself --- resin basking decor pieces are very easy to clean w/ the F 10 spray and leave on for 10 min- rinse off - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=F+10+vet+disinfectant&_sacat=0
you want the SC F10--- the meds are going to make his appetite off I recommend you get him some probiotic for help w/ the stomach https://bug-de-lite.com/Item/Reptophilus '
this is what I gave Blaze when he was on meds for liver infection --

cgagliardi8

Bearded Dragon Egg
Please take most of the decor out only leave one basking decor piece 2 if you need to-- what kind of substrate? Sand? textured shelf liner? Please get some F 10 vet cleaner and you will need to disinfect the tank every time he poops so your killing the parasite and so he does not re infect himself --- resin basking decor pieces are very easy to clean w/ the F 10 spray and leave on for 10 min- rinse off - https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=F+10+vet+disinfectant&_sacat=0
you want the SC F10--- the meds are going to make his appetite off I recommend you get him some probiotic for help w/ the stomach https://bug-de-lite.com/Item/Reptophilus '
this is what I gave Blaze when he was on meds for liver infection --
Thank you. Yea it’s like a hard plastic shelf liner. Can I keep that in and just disinfect it every time he poops? Also ancter his second dose is finished in two weeks then can I put all his stuff back in his tank? Also, he just got his second dose and he’s acting extremely off. Looks skinny because he won’t eat, and just had the strangest looking poop ever. I’m gonna attach it below. I’m scared

Attachments

• IMG_6213.jpeg
    IMG_6213.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. Yea it’s like a hard plastic shelf liner. Can I keep that in and just disinfect it every time he poops? Also ancter his second dose is finished in two weeks then can I put all his stuff back in his tank? Also, he just got his second dose and he’s acting extremely off. Looks skinny because he won’t eat, and just had the strangest looking poop ever. I’m gonna attach it below. I’m scared
You can ---the grooves I am not hot on is it hard to clean? That is strange looking poop- gonna have two people look at that-- I would take another fecal in to test when done to make sure the parasite is gone- what is his weight ? Please keep him hydrated -
@Drache613

cgagliardi8

Bearded Dragon Egg
You can ---the grooves I am not hot on is it hard to clean? That is strange looking poop- gonna have two people look at that-- I would take another fecal in to test when done to make sure the parasite is gone- what is his weight ? Please keep him hydrated -
@Drache613
it is very easy to clean, but I will make sure to clean it extra well. It is very strange looking poop I have never seen anything like it honestly. thank you. also with the f10 do I only use it on the area where he poops after he goes? or should I do is whole tank once and then use it on the area where he poops every time after that

cgagliardi8

Bearded Dragon Egg
it is very easy to clean, but I will make sure to clean it extra well. It is very strange looking poop I have never seen anything like it honestly. thank you. also with the f10 do I only use it on the area where he poops after he goes? or should I do is whole tank once and then use it on the area where he poops every time after that
also, vet said he is about 3 months and he weighs about 18 grams so he's in range of where he's supposed to be right now but im worried these meds are hurting him. he hasn't eaten all day and just isn't himself anymore.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
also, vet said he is about 3 months and he weighs about 18 grams so he's in range of where he's supposed to be right now but im worried these meds are hurting him. he hasn't eaten all day and just isn't himself anymore.
He is young-- you may haft to get some baby food ckn and baby food squash and syringe feed - hes awful young to be not eating at all -- they quickly lose weight - I have reached out to two people -- I have heard back from one of them this is what she has asked
Sorry your dragon is sick. How long have you had him and was he acting sick before you took a stool sample in ? What is the name of the meds. he's on and for how long ? How old is he , can you post a pic of the dragon ?
That might be puke rather than poo, if you can set up a camera you can maybe catch it next time. Hopefully the meds. are not causing this and are the proper dose.

cgagliardi8

Bearded Dragon Egg
He is young-- you may haft to get some baby food ckn and baby food squash and syringe feed - hes awful young to be not eating at all -- they quickly lose weight - I have reached out to two people -- I have heard back from one of them this is what she has asked
Sorry your dragon is sick. How long have you had him and was he acting sick before you took a stool sample in ? What is the name of the meds. he's on and for how long ? How old is he , can you post a pic of the dragon ?
That might be puke rather than poo, if you can set up a camera you can maybe catch it next time. Hopefully the meds. are not causing this and are the proper dose.
he actually ended up eating his roaches and some collard greens last night so I felt a lot better about that. he's also been rubbing his head so I think he is about to shed on top of all of this which could be why he seems moody. I have had him about 1 month now and before he started his meds he seemed very happy he just had some stinky poop. the name of the meds is ponazuril for coccidia and today will be his 3rd day. he is about 3-4 months old.

Attachments

• IMG_6199.jpeg
    IMG_6199.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 11

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
he actually ended up eating his roaches and some collard greens last night so I felt a lot better about that. he's also been rubbing his head so I think he is about to shed on top of all of this which could be why he seems moody. I have had him about 1 month now and before he started his meds he seemed very happy he just had some stinky poop. the name of the meds is ponazuril for coccidia and today will be his 3rd day. he is about 3-4 months old.
So hes not in the best of moods --- shedding makes them crabby and w/ the meds he may have an upset stomach I recommend you start giving a probiotic for the stomach - this is what I gave Blaze when he was on meds for a liver infection - https://bug-de-lite.com/Item/Reptophilus -- I will flag Tracie again

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He looks good and that's great news that he ate some food. How long will he be on Ponazuril ? That's usually a less harsh drug than Albon, hopefully he is back to good health soon. If the level of coccidia is low some vets don't treat it.

cgagliardi8

Bearded Dragon Egg
He looks good and that's great news that he ate some food. How long will he be on Ponazuril ? That's usually a less harsh drug than Albon, hopefully he is back to good health soon. If the level of coccidia is low some vets don't treat it.
IMG_6225.jpeg

The guy at my local reptile shop told me to use this to help disinfect his tank for coccidia. How do you feel about it ?

Drache613

Hatchling Dragon
Hello,

Sorry I somehow missed this post! How is your little one, what medication did your dragon receive for his
coccidia? How many doses did he get?
The wipeout that Sadie has suggested is widely used so that should be fine to use. Also, the F10 is
routinely used as well. A steamer works great for killing practically anything in the tank, too.
I usually recommend taking out most of the decor, washing it in hot soapy water & letting it air dry or
you can bake it in the oven around 200F for 30 or so minutes to disinfect it. I would use cardboard boxes
& paper towels for awhile, for easy clean up.
Did you get him on any probiotics too?

Tracie

Latest posts