• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Checking Basking Temperature

Andy Usher

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
I am guessing this has probably been asked several times, unfortunately I can't seem to find it, so my apologies, but knowing me it is probably right in front of my nose.

I have been reading that Beardie basking spot temperatures should be taken as air temperatures with a probe thermometer and not an IR gun, which I might add have been using under advisement of 3 seperate reputable reptile shops as the IR gun only picks up the reflected temperature of the surface aimed at.
I have two digital probe thermometers in my viv measuring ambient temperature at the hot and cool ends. I shall use one of these to get the air temperature.
What I am wondering is, how high above the basking area in the air do you have to place the probe to get the correct air temperature reading?
I ask because if the probe is closer than a couple of inches to the basking surface then it will be influenced by the reflective/radiated heat of the material used.

Thanks
Andy

gilliesexotics

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi, i would suggest using a digital therm with a probe that rest right at the basking site. You are completely correct about materials influencing or degrading actual temps. This is why i do not recommend them.

Andy Usher

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Thanks for the reply Gillie.
I checked the temps and was shocked by the results and decided to place the probe around Beardie shoulder height above the basking site.
I have the basking site measuring 40 degrees C using the IR gun. I then placed the probe of a digital thermometer an inch and a half above the baskng site to mimic the height of a Beardie in the hottest part of the light beam. I left it for 45 minutes to be sure the temp had settled.
The result was 32degrees C, way low. I used the IR gun again and sure enough 40 degrees was registered.
I then replaced the digital thermometer with another one and sure enough the same result.
I have also checked my second basking site in the same way, this time the IR gun registered 40 degrees again, however the digital thermometer registered 37 degrees.
The first site tested is a driftwood branch and the second site is a lump of granite. Its interesting how inaccurate the IR gun is in this situation especially depending on the material being tested.
I have also checked the IR gun and digital thermometer with something of the same temperature and they are within half a degree of each other.
It does appear that air temperature is significantly different to surface temperature and since getting the air temperature to around 40 degrees my Beardie raced into the area and sat there for ages and eventually began gaping which she hasn't done before, she has always roamed around basking in different areas, I did wonder why, now I think it was because both basking sites supplied were below temperature.

Latest posts