• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

CHE Light

Pat B

Super Moderator
I am going to have to buy a CHE Heater soon but don't know the wattage if there is such a thing. I have a 40 gal tank. Do I put the bulb in a dome and let the heater heat through the screen or take the screen off at night so beardie gets enough heat? My house is now dropping to about 60-65 at night....colder during the winter months. Thanks....:cool:

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yes you put it in a regular dome with a ceramic or porcelain socket. It will not take much to take the edge off, a 60 watt should easily do the job sitting on top of the screen as you have your other domes. Personally I would have it on a timer set for the cooler hours of the night & put a Dimmer switch in line or a thermostat (Better & set for 65-70F) if you can, so you can control how much heat it gives off at night to be sure that it does not get too warm.

It gets to -50F sometimes during the winter here outside, but we have a really neat invention up here, called a 'Furnace', to keep our igloos warm at night ;) . Have never needed night heat for the critters. All kidding aside, the above should do the job for you.

Good Luck Pat

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
I have a 40 gallon tank as well and I have a 60 watt CHE which I was using with the basking light because I had my temperatures all messed up and couldn't find the right wattage so the CHE made the temperature go up just the right amount, but this was when I had a little bit of a smaller tank and since I got the 40 gallon I have not used the CHE but it seemed to work well in the other tank, and I agree with Germ that you should definitely get a dimmer light dome so that if 60 watt is too hot instead of buying a whole new one you can just dim it. Sorry to sound like I just repeated what Germ said but I wanted to give my own personal thoughts about it. Maybe you could buy a 60 watt and try it out when your beardie isn't in the tank and see what the temperature reads and go from there. Just a thought.:)

Latest posts