• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

CHE for basking?

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I was wondering if I can use a CHE for basking temperatures if I have a UVA / UVB tube light across the entire enclosure? I do this with my turtle and it works great. I didn't know if the bright light from the basking light is needed for the dragons or if its ok to use CHE for basking heat. I like the CHE because the temperature can be kept perfect using a thermostat instead of lights coming on & off plus they last forever. Thanks

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Yeah you should be able to use a UV lamp with a ceramic heat emitter without any issue. I prefer CHEs too they're great.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
I always thought that the basking lamp should be a bright light along with heat to mimic the brightness and heat from the sun?

PsycoMenace

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
I was having a issue with heat with my basking light. I just upped the wattage of the bulb and temps are just fine now. At night if the temps get low I will use a CHE, but Id recommend the bright light to mimic the sun, so it helps them digest food, and also makes them more aware and playful. Once my light goes off he instantly goes to sleep which is pretty cool.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Fluorescent lights do not produce much UVA at all. Its one of their major shortcomings. Most basking lights dont either, but it will double the UVA available to them and make it somewhat better. However, the bright light will likely show an increase in activity, and its always a good idea to increase their light when possible. These are animals that live in the outback of Australia. They love the light. So just a fluorescent and a CHE is sort of like keeping them in winter conditions all the time. Id recommend switching your turtles too. Once you have the lights properly placed, there should be no worries about the temperatures changing anymore than you would with a CHE.

Mushuandcricket

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Sorry I should of been more specific. I am not using florescent light tubes. I am using The Zoomed T5HO high output 5.0 UVA/UVB tubes.

jarich

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Slightly better UVA, but not appreciably so. They still have about the same output of UVA as a common halogen bulb

Latest posts