• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Charlie slowing down?

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
The past few days, Charlie has been rather lazy/not basking in his enclosure. He is not sleeping during the day though. I'm always finding him underneath his log or on the cool side beside his salad. Temps are good. When I take him out, he moves around. He shouldn't be going into brumation (it's summer), so I'm not sure what seems to be the problem. Oh, and he hasn't been eating ALL of his salad like he usually does. I also haven't been giving him much protein, because of the lack of basking which he may not digest the proteins.

I do, though, need to change his uvb (just need to get a fixture). But could this be the only problem as to why he's not doing much?

staylor

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Oscar is doing the same thing for the past couple of weeks and I have not figured out what is up with him.

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Two of mine are all the way down.

The other two are going strong..

Some dragons retain the seasonal sense of their native land, I strongly feel, even generations removed from that land.

So, if you don't see any other indications of say, a parasite presence, have a clear fecal exam... I'd say let them do as they will.
Hope this helps.

crypticdragons

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lowered levels of UV light can cause a significant change in activity levels. But it is not the only possibility. Have you had a fecal exam ran by a vet? The signs of brumation and the signs of a parasitic problem coming on are often very similar in how they look behavior wise. Also, I know you said your temps are good but what are they? Some dragons prefer lower or higher temps than others. They can slow down due to not wanting to bask due to being too hot or not hot enough.

If the fecal is clear it may be brumation but you need to check the other angles as well.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay guys, I guess Charlie has just been in a slump. He is perky today and basking on his own! And he ate some salad.

Lisa, to answer your question, Charlie is about 3 and a half years old.

Brian, to answer your questions, I have not gotten a fecal exam for Charlie, and his temp ranges from 95 (on cooler days) to about 103.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Has he ever brumated before. Some do and some don't. But at that age he could be getting ready to. Your temps are good.
Get a new UVB as soon as possible, that could be some of the problem.
If really concerned get a fecal just to be sure.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
He has brumated before. But since he was back to himself today, all seems good. The uvb will be replaced asap.

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
If he brumated before most likely he will again. This could just be the start of it. Sometimes they go into it slowly. One day off a little, the next normal. Be really careful about feeding live food. You don't want him to have a belly full of crix and not bask.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Could you help me with putting him into brumation? I mean, since he's done it before, should put him into that again? It was not me who put him into brumation, it was his previous owner. When I got Charlie back in March, they said he was just coming out of it.

Red Ink AUS

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
zebraflavencs said:
Some dragons retain the seasonal sense of their native land, I strongly feel, even generations removed from that land.

Pssst... it's spring over here mate we're in reverse. ;)

li

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
This is something that comes natural. Just watch him, if continues to be "off" have a fecal run to be sure he has no parasites. If he is healthy just let him be. Dont feed him live food if he isnt basking, but offer greens. Leave all temps as they are. If he fully brumates, you can lower the amount of time the lights are on a bit. You also want to soak him a couple times a week to keep him well hydrated.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
Okay! If he does brumate, when should I expect him to 'go down' ? And how long do they do it for?

zebraflavencs

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks Francis...

As to the last post..Some will go down for months, while others will only go down for weeks.. Each dragon is an individual.. I would highly recommend a fecal exam before allowing any dragon to brumate, since the presence of parasites mimic brumation.
Hope this helps.

beardie_love

Bearded Dragon Egg
3 Year Member
UPDATE:

Charlie is FINE! I replaced his uvb 2 days ago. He perked up so much. And with the lack of basking before, he did not poop. Now you can guess how big and messy his 'present' that he left for me was! :eek: Compared to his EVERY DAY pooping lol.

renich

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Great news. It's amazing what a new UV bulb can do for these guys.

SoleSky

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
My guy sometimes poops twice a day not sure if thats normal or not... Congrats on your guy tho happy to hear hes all good :)

Latest posts