• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Charlie refusing to eat crickets

P

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Supers are fine as a staple IF your beardie is over 16 inches long. I didnt mention them in my 1st post cos i dont know how big Charlie is and only knew his age.Before 16 inches there is a kink in the digestive tract that can cause blockages if fed supers that are too big. If Charlie is shorter than 16 inches try to get of the smaller super.worms not the adult ones. And dont let the pet shop.tell you mealworms are small.supers cos theyre NOT
Locusts are fine since youre in the UK a lot of ppl.there feed them.

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
he's 16 n a bit :) Got Charlie some Morio worms and locust hopper things.. he refuses the hoppers. (ah well) BUT has happily chomped on a couple of worms earlier and 3 more tonight, so i'll follow the pattern given above for his feeds n see how he goes.

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
these morio /supers are a mix of sizes. did think sensible.. gave him the littler ones any way:)

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
Supers are fine as a staple IF your beardie is over 16 inches long. I didnt mention them in my 1st post cos i dont know how big Charlie is and only knew his age.Before 16 inches there is a kink in the digestive tract that can cause blockages if fed supers that are too big. If Charlie is shorter than 16 inches try to get of the smaller super.worms not the adult ones. And dont let the pet shop.tell you mealworms are small.supers cos theyre NOT
Locusts are fine since youre in the UK a lot of ppl.there feed them.
not trying to be hard to get along with but ive spoken with several exotic vets and their is no definitive proof of a "kink" in a young beardies intestines. ive actually sat in on a few neropsies and based on what i've seen and what my vet says, i do not agree with the kink theory. it always makes sense that no matter what you feed, what goes in must come out and a little poop play can give you a good idea of whats going on with that. please dont take this the wrong way P because ive read your posts and you give very good advice and i can tell you care. i have personally never had a problem with supers but if someone doesnt feel comfortable feeding them, then by all means try something else. just my opinion. :)

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Well it worked for 3 days, he ate 3-5 each day,then I gave him a few more and since then he stopped again on monday... he's refusing all foods including his veggies.. I've tried him with locusts and he just lets them hop about, crickets he closes his eyes, supers closes his eyes, veggies of any variety closes his eyes.. he hasn't been to toilet since he stopped eating unless I give him a bath. i'm thoroughly confused as to what to do now. rep vet finds nothing wrong healthwise... :(

richard

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
dont stress. its natural for any beardie to be a pain in the rear every so often, even young ones plus, even though brumation should not be a problem at this age they will still slow down a little this time of year. sometimes mine will go up to two weeks without eating and then start up again. the key is to keep them hydrated. continue his normal schedule and if he doesnt drink in the tub then give him a little water via a syringe like you would meds once or twice a week and also monitor his weight. tell us how much he weighs now and update us every 4 or 5 days but dont panic, this is not uncommon.

Spikeleebd

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
also make sure your heating is okay and i agree with you richard i feed supers to my little guy and he poops just fine and he has been eating supers also my friend is a vet and has been raising beardies for 15 years now and has been feeding supers to his guys for years and has never lost one to supers causing impaction. in the wild these guys eat alot more hardy things

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
Yeah I'm pretty sure it's him just slowing down, as after leaving message I got him in bath n he pooped, but wouldnt eat till later in the day. heating is fine his hot is 110 n cooler 83. Anyway he's lively enough so I think he'll be cool. I wont get to weigh him till tomorrow due to the times i'm working today. but i'll do that then n post it soon as..The not eating for a day or two didnt bother me before as he did it when he was about to shed, but he's stopped shedding since aug/sept ish time. Oh and with hydration, he's a real pain you cant get him to take from syringe at all, and he dont drink in tub, it appears he likes his hydration in the veggie tasting variety. I think he must eat some of it as some goes missing but not alot, so maybe only enough to get drink from..Unless you have tips for syringe drinkies. :)

Julie

Hatchling Dragon
3 Year Member
yeah charlie has that too. bath every other day. n misted everyday. he loves to swim :)

Latest posts