• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

CATS

laninz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi,
Could I get some hints on introducing cats to a bearded dragon?
We have only had him a week and the cats haven't noticed him yet.
We are a little nervous about trying but would love them all to get on.
Is it common for them to like each other?
Thanks
:D

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lot's of supervised introductions... I have 3 cats and they are interested but got bored with Izzy :) I have Izzy with me when I take care of her roaches and usually 1 or 2 come down and wander around on the counter and Izzy just runs around them, over their tails and they just look at her like WTH is that?? lol I think it will differ from cat to cat but all of ours are really laid back, but they are always supervised when Izzy is out.

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Our cats are older and (mostly) laid back. When we brought Dexter home for the first time the cats were interested and so every time I took Dexter out of her tank I would bring her around to each cat and let them sniff her and maybe kiss her and then I would take Dexter away. I would do the same thing putting Dexter back in her tank. I did that for months before I let Dexter loose around them. They also got bored with her very fast. I realized that the bugs were more interesting to them than the beardie. I used to have Dexter on a desk that had some extra room around her tank, this allowed Sasha to sit next to the tank and since she had a spot next to the tank she didn't really want to jump on the tank.

It's been 3 years and 2 more beardies and a chameleon since we got Dexter and we still keep a watchful eye on them when they are free roaming and the cats are awake. Even though Sasha jumps when Luci runs towards here, I would rather be safe than sorry.

laninz

Bearded Dragon Egg
Thanks. We don't have chameleon's here other than the zoo. They look like amazing pets!

laninz

Bearded Dragon Egg
lot's of supervised introductions... I have 3 cats and they are interested but got bored with Izzy :) I have Izzy with me when I take care of her roaches and usually 1 or 2 come down and wander around on the counter and Izzy just runs around them, over their tails and they just look at her like WTH is that?? lol I think it will differ from cat to cat but all of ours are really laid back, but they are always supervised when Izzy is out.
I think we will do that, and let the cats sniff her in our hands for a bit. :)

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I think we will do that, and let the cats sniff her in our hands for a bit. :)
Like what PatsyB does I let them smell Izzy and so far the only big attention getter are her bugs running around..