• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Caring for a lizard during a power outage

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
Hey everyone, recently my power went out for a few hours and where I live, it is very cold. Of course when this happened, my bearded dragon's heat lamp and uvb went out and this sent me into panic. I am going to tell you how to care for your bearded dragon when the power is out and it is cold.

1.) Keeping your lizard warm
This of course is one of the most important parts of this process, as you don't want to freeze your baby out! I took Zeus out of his cage, wrapped him in a fuzzy warm blanket, and held him on my chest to keep him warm and pretty much went into a state of brumation the entire time. If it isn't cold in your house and the temperature is good, you can even just hang with your bearded dragon until the lights come back on. If the lights don't come back on for a day or more, i'd say find somewhere with power to keep your dragon until the lights come back on or get a generator.

If none the less and heat isn't an issue, I am not sure if it is a good idea to just make the room dark and let your dragon sleep because I don't know if it messes with their day and night cycle, i'd like the forums input on that.

2.) No feeding your bearded dragon during the outage
Because your bearded dragon is ectothermic, they use the sun to digest their food. With out their heat lamp and uvb, they are unable to process their food properly and that can lead to a whole other list of issues.

3.) Other tips
Just make sure you comfort them and make sure they aren't stressing out too much. They will most likely just sleep if the lights go out and it is dark, but like I said I am not sure if this is good for their day and night cycle.

If the power is out for a day or more find somewhere with power to keep your bearded dragon weather it be a family member or friend who you can trust to either take care of your bearded dragon or let you stay at their house with your bearded dragon. I was actually going to take mine to my dads but the power ended coming back on thankfully.

If I missed any info or if you have anything to add, leave it below! I'm still learning about this topic myself, just thought i'd share how I took care of my lizard while the power was out.

Bailey

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
I forgot to mention if you can't hold your dragon for some reason and your lighting goes out, put a fluffy blanket around the hide in his/hers enclosure. Your beardie will go in there and sleep -- be warm.

Latest posts