• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

CareFresh Bedding

keykaye

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi, i was wondering if i could use carefresh paper bedding for bearded dragons or the carefresh crinkle bedding. I dont want to use sand for health risks, this being my first dragon and all ive been reading a lot of information. A breeder in looking at said they use sand all the time and that its their natural habitat. But from what i know arent dragons used to clay and rocky areas as their wild habitats? I just want my first beardie to be happy and be able to dig but be safe. I'm saving for a 75 gallon set up with a 3D wall backdrop that has shelves build into it and everything.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum. It is advised not to use any substrate (unless your doing a bioactive (advanced owners)) as ingestion is high even if you don't feed in your enclosure. They lick everything that is how they get to know their surroundings and gives info about things around them, so they will eat some. There are some people that have no issues with using sand and those who do it's hit and miss, but why risk it IMO.
You are correct their "natural" surroundings in Aust are clay like.
Most use tile, slate for the solid surfaces and non-adhesive contact paper, paper towels, newspaper, repti carpet..

keykaye

Bearded Dragon Egg
Alright thank you for the reply, I may sew some fleece cage liners for the tank then and make a dig box for the beardie to get some action in. Most likely filling it with alfafa pellets if thats alright.

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Alright thank you for the reply, I may sew some fleece cage liners for the tank then and make a dig box for the beardie to get some action in. Most likely filling it with alfafa pellets if thats alright.
What many do is solid surface then if you have a gravid female they will then put them in a lay box that is playsand/soil mix then once done removed. They are domesticated soo much that their really only need a dig box for when they lay eggs. The problem with alfalfa pellets is if they are ingested they will swell up taking much needed moisture from your beardie while digesting.

keykaye

Bearded Dragon Egg
I've seen some beardies enjoy being able to dig was why i was wanting the dig box. Only other idea i have are these corn starch packing peanuts that are meant for ferrets and rats that dissolve completely into water as soon as moisture hits them, or mayeb a fleece scraps dig box. If not i'll find other ways to entertain him or her.

Canicke

Super Moderator
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I wouldn't be too terribly concerned about an area for them to dig - none of mine have even LIKED the sand box I've tried to provide. even when my female was laying dormant eggs (she is a retired breeder) she didn't want to use the sand box.

JUNGLE JIM

Juvenile Dragon
3 Year Member
If you are looking for a more natural substrate you could try excavator clay. I have it in two enclosures and it looks great, although they don't really dig around in it. You can make tunnels and they will use them occasionally. I use excavator clay, branches, slate and rocks in their enclosures. My dragons are thriving with these combinations and it looks good too.

Latest posts