• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can't NOT get my Beardie to eat!

MLE.C

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hello everyone! On November 5th I brought home my first bearded dragon, Pippin. I have him set up with the works, 20 gallon take (he's about 6.5 inches), 100 degree basking spot (which he spends 95% of his time in), shallow water dish, access to food, you name it. I know stress can cause reptiles to not eat, but I have had NO luck in getting him to eat anything. Crickets, meal worms, veggies, fruit, I even tried cooked chicken with no luck. It's like he sees the food or me and makes a run for it. He'll let me pick him up without a fuss, so I don't know what the problem is. Since it's still his first week here should I just leave him alone (I.e not try to hold him) until he starts accepting food from me? Should I keep holding him for bits at a time till he's used to me? I'm really worried he's going to starve himself, everyone's always saying how easy these are to care for but so far it's been a little stressful. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1516.JPG
    IMG_1516.JPG
    546.2 KB · Views: 24

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
It is perfectly normal for them to refuse food for the first week or so. It can be a stressful time for them when they go to new homes. Just give him space to explore and settle in. I would continue to offer live food 3x a day, once he's hungry enough he will take them. Also, I'd keep a bowl of salad in his enclosure as well. He may not eat it right now and that's ok but it's good to allow him to become more familiar with it.

I would also increase his basking temp to about 105. Babies require slightly higher temps. And I would probably not offer chicken whatsoever. Instead continue to offer insects like crickets, dubia roaches, silkworms, and black solider fly larvae as a protein source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MLE.C

Bearded Dragon Egg
It is perfectly normal for them to refuse food for the first week or so. It can be a stressful time for them when they go to new homes. Just give him space to explore and settle in. I would continue to offer live food 3x a day, once he's hungry enough he will take them. Also, I'd keep a bowl of salad in his enclosure as well. He may not eat it right now and that's ok but it's good to allow him to become more familiar with it.

I would also increase his basking temp to about 105. Babies require slightly higher temps. And I would probably not offer chicken whatsoever. Instead continue to offer insects like crickets, dubia roaches, silkworms, and black solider fly larvae as a protein source.

Thank you so much! I'm going to get a higher power basking light this weekend and a heat pad. I hope that will help

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Just get a slightly higher wattage basking bulb. Beardies can not tell how warm they are by their stomachs so it's best to avoid heating pads. All you need is just something slightly higher, nothing too drastic.

MLE.C

Bearded Dragon Egg
Just get a slightly higher wattage basking bulb. Beardies can not tell how warm they are by their stomachs so it's best to avoid heating pads. All you need is just something slightly higher, nothing too drastic.

Is there a wattage you recommend?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
What wattage are you using as of now?

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I would just move up to a 100 watt and see how that does. Are you still using the UVB light the kit came with? If so, when you can I strongly recommend upgrading to a reptisun 10.0 T5 tube fixture. You can order them online much cheaper than you can get them for in stores. This will spread the UVB rays out more in the tank instead of directing it all to one small area which will be better for your beardies eyes and give him a more proficient amount of UVB lighting.

Other than this, I really think your little one is just experiencing some relocation stress. Continue offering food and he should perk up and begin eating much more soon. Try not to worry too much, this is very common and most of us here went through the same situation at first.

RaeAnn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Not a problem at all. Give him a few days and let us know if he's perking up any

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I agree with RaeAnn and the advise given, I would also say not to feed mealworms as they contain alot of chitlin that is hard for them to digest..
Just give him a bit of time to settle in to the new environment.. They will not starve themselves.
Also you can check out the links below several of our posts as we have put together info for new comers to dragons. (link not seen on taptalk)

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
Please do not feed your dragon chicken or any other meat like that. They don't process meat the way we do and chicken can cause problems with their digestive system and really damage their liver and kidneys. I agree with RaeAnn, bump up the basking temp to 105, 107 is even better. Once he settles in and the temp is warm he should be eating like a champ.

MLE.C

Bearded Dragon Egg
Hi everyone! A little update, I replaced the UVB bulb with a bar light and upgraded the basking light to a 100w bulb. Pip seems to be a little more active and is coming down from his basking spot more and more often now. The other morning I even witnessed him drinking from his water dish! I got him some week old crickets which he did hunt a little, but he hasn't eaten any veggies as far as I know. As of now I'm trying a slurrie of chard, apple, a little bit of cooked carrots and beets, supplement powder and some freeze dried crickets. I'm hoping this blend will get him to eat a little more so he gets some more nutrients. He seems interested in the food dish, he just hasn't quite taken the plunge yet. Only a matter of time I think! I'm seeing a little more of his personality every day. Thanks so much again everyone for your help!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
It takes a few weeks for them to settle in so don't worry too much just yet. Don't force him to eat anything because he is still scared with his new surroundings and forcing him to do things is going to stress him out and make him sick. As far as the veggies go, they need more protein at this age so they tend to not take to veggies for a few months and that's okay.

One tip, if he is in a glass tank, cover 3 sides of the tank. This will help make him feel less overwhelmed and just focus and get used to his new house.

MLE.C

Bearded Dragon Egg
It takes a few weeks for them to settle in so don't worry too much just yet. Don't force him to eat anything because he is still scared with his new surroundings and forcing him to do things is going to stress him out and make him sick. As far as the veggies go, they need more protein at this age so they tend to not take to veggies for a few months and that's okay.

One tip, if he is in a glass tank, cover 3 sides of the tank. This will help make him feel less overwhelmed and just focus and get used to his new house.

I'll do that! Thanks a bunch!

Hdrydr31

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Staff member
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Sounds like your on the right tract in no time he will be thriving! Just make sure you take out any un eaten crickets they can nibble on sleeping dragons.

Latest posts