• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can't get the right temperature!

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hi everyone! I am trying to get my babies temperature up to 100-105 degrees and no matter what light I use or what combination of lights I use I cannot get it to go above 96 degrees. I have tried a , a 65 Watt halogen combined with a 50 Watt Halogen which I thought would be TOO hot but the temperature refuses to climb! Now I have two 50 watt halogen bulbs in there and it is still only 96 degrees. I have a 40 gallon tank and I figured by going from a 50 watt to a 65 watt, that would do the trick but it's not. Does anyone have any suggestions on a lightbulb I can get and what do you suggest Watt that I get to get the basking spot to at least 100?? Thanks!

Germ

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
I suggest using one bulb that will give you the cool side temps, then raising the basking spot to the height needed to provide the proper temp. Sounds like your only problem is getting the right distance between the bulb & the basking spot ...

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Thanks Germ, that makes a lot of sense! The place that my Baby spends the most time on is his hammock(I did try to take it away from him but it didn't work out too well lol) but anyways, before I had the checked the temperature at the middle of the hammock and I just checked it at the very top and it was 101! Yay! I feel much better now that I don't have to go buy new bulbs again, so thanks so much for your help! I don't know why it took me so long to figure this out haha :oops:

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Baby's showing how much he's a couch potato! :) I shudder to think if that hammock broke, he'd be one upset beardie.

Mine did and she wasn't happy with the toy holder either. :)

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Yea, he is definitely a lazy little guy hehe! I tried taking the hammock away and he almost was panicking so I put it back because he was really acting nuts without it LOL...he is still small for his age but when he gets bigger he won't even fit on his hammock anymore and then I am going to have to come up with a new solution! I've thought of making a home made hammock for when he outgrows the one he has now but I am not quite sure what material I would use. Baby is so spoiled now that he won't chase the crickets when I feed him, he makes me direct the crickets right in front of his face and then he'll eat them. Silly little guy!!! Oh well, he is SO worth it!!!! :-D

Noella

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
lol. They've got their personalities and get spoiled very quickly. (I tried being lazy once and gave Allie all her crickets in her tank without all of her decorations. She just sat there watching them crawl all over the tank.) She looked up at me like, "Are these mine? They're not in the container so I'm not going to eat them." I rounded them all up, put them into this plastic container she loves so much, and then boom. She saw the container and crickets and started going after them. I uprighted the container again and she went right into the container, munching away. lol. :rolleyes:

Baby's true to his little slogan! :D "I'm the Baby! Gotta LOVE me!!"

BeardieBaby

Juvenile Dragon
Hehe, he sure is!!! I need to post an updated picture of him, I just took him to the vet yesterday and he has gained quite a bit of weight! YAY! He is still small for his age but he's getting bigger! The picture at the end of my posts is when he was a lot younger, but I need to take a good pic of him at the right time. He just got in from being in the sun so he is under his log right now. Not the best time to get a picture lol. ;)

Latest posts