• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

can you use a night bulb at daytime??

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
Hello. Is there a diffence in the heat levels between a 75 watt "night bulb" and a 75 watt "basking bulb/ day bulb? I saw the prices for each and the "night bulbs" were much more cheap. Can I use a night bulb for my beardie at daytime??

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
Hi, well night bulbs should certainly never be used at night thats for sure. To answer your question though, yes I suppose so, the heat output would probably be the same. The advantage of a halogen bulb or similar is the light it gives off as much as the heat. It makes your enclosure feel warmer and look nicer for a start, but when those more visible wavelengths of IR mix with the UV its as close to natural sunlight as most beardies get.

Sean o^o

Hatchling Dragon
Hi, well night bulbs should certainly never be used at night thats for sure. To answer your question though, yes I suppose so, the heat output would probably be the same. The advantage of a halogen bulb or similar is the light it gives off as much as the heat. It makes your enclosure feel warmer and look nicer for a start, but when those more visible wavelengths of IR mix with the UV its as close to natural sunlight as most beardies get.

Thank you!! What day bulb do you reccomend? I have a 10 gallon right now, and it will just be temporary for a few weeks. And just to confirm, night bulbs are fine, right??

BeardedHippy

Bearded Dragon Veteran
A halogen 'flood' lamp, I cant give you a specific brand tho. In such a tiny tank you will have to be careful you dont overdo it, it wont be easy for him to get away from the heat. Keep a real close eye on temps, a larger tank will maintain more stable temperatures.

Yes, a nightbulb would emit about the same heat, but not reccomended in my opinion.

Latest posts