• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can o grasshoppers

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Precious has suddenly been expanding her taste buds so I thought I'd try this and she was actually interested but I chickened out at the last minute...the grasshoppers were huge and seemed kind of hard. She has eaten hornworms the same size or bigger though.
Are these ok to give her?

derbydragon77

Hatchling Dragon
A trick I learned is that if the buggy is smaller than the space between her eyes she can eat it. If it's bigger then it's not recommended.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I steer clear of packaged foods. Nothing is better than good old-fashioned live feeders. Definitely stick with feeders no bigger than the space between their eyes. Larger feeders can cause impaction, or vomiting.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
The pet store that I used to get her hornworms from just closed. The only other place I can get them now (without ordering online) doesn't have them on a regular basis. She decided she didn't like crickets probably 2 years ago, I do still offer every once a while though. That's why I was trying to come up with an alternative, in case I can't get her live food.

Eavlynn

Bearded Dragon Veteran
I'd look into dubia roaches. They are quiet, smell free, and easy to keep alive. They are also far more nutritious than crickets or grasshoppers. Many of us have our own colonies to save on feeding costs, and despite the slight creep factor, it's beyond worth it. Happy wallet and happy beardies :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
How is Precious???!!! I've missed her and Tequila.

The canned bugs are gross and weird. They are huge and in some sort of gel or coating or something. Dexter had won a free can one year and I opened it just to see what they were and I threw them away.

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Ok, we'll be staying away from this stuff!

Hi Patsy! How's your little family doing?? Do you still raise the beetles? We actually have a small family of them now. I remember you were having fun with yours, they really are adorable! Soon I'm going to turn a larger bunch at once and try my hand at breeding my own supers. But this gang will be separate, the pets we can tell apart.
Precious is wonderful as usual! We avoided brumation this year, fortunately! Actually, it seems like she's been having a youthful change lately. She's more active and playful than ever, eating things she never would've touched before. Don't know what this is all about but it's fine with me!
She and Mush (changed from Tequila) are still best buddies. It used to be more Mush following her around but lately she's always right there with him, analyzing what he's doing lol. Sometimes she'll watch him doing something, her head is tilted and it looks like she's saying "What in the world is he doing!?" lol.
The other day, Mush went under the tv stand. Precious got her spikes caught in a hide a long time ago and panicked because she couldn't get her head out. Since then, she never liked going into small spaces. But she followed Mush under (which surprised me!) and once she was there, I think she panicked. Mush came out but she was still there, giving me this pleading look to help her back out lol! I guess that's the cost of having a blue tongued skink for a best friend lol! Ironically, Mush does not like the younger one...his own species! So free time is divided between them but fortunately Precious and the younger one get along so I can still keep her out as long as she wants. She gets along with him fine but is not fascinated or bonded with him like with Mush, even though he's very playful and social, would love to have the same kind of interaction with her.
rwi81z.jpg

65xtdz.jpg

These 2 are still quite the bond. As soon as my son is around, Precious doesn't really care about me anymore lol.
xpddfl.jpg

With the recent warmer weather, she is not trying to leave the window...even when there's no more sun!
24g3ozk.jpg

Precious and Mush. He's 3 times her weight now
2d763x2.jpg

This is why his name changed to Mush. I know his sweet, mushy personality now is mostly because of Precious
33mx190.jpg

This is the younger one. Healthy and healed, although he still has some scars left. He shocked me with how stunning he turned out, and an amazing personality to match

donprec

Juvenile Dragon
Eavlynn...Once, I tried to squash my fear with dubias and bought a cup home from a show. Precious would attack the first 1 or 2 but then wasn't so gung ho about them. Once she knew what they were when I offered to her, she wouldn't even attempt to eat them...I don't know why!
Finally one time, she didn't eat all that I had in her dish...2 climbed out. I have wooden enclosures and they can climb that. One was running all over the ceiling of the enclosure, another one ran off and I couldn't find him for a couple hours and wouldn't dare open the cage until I finally spotted him hidden in some leaves. The whole experience freaked me out! I still had about 50 left but gave them away on Craigslist, don't think I can muster up the courage to deal with that again, lol!

PatsyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Beardie Club
@donprec the family is doing good. Dexter has also perked up lately and been real alert and active and HUNGRY. Dexter has some MBD but we are keeping up on her calcium and she's got a real great UVB light and I'm also giving her B Complex. It all seems to be working fornher. Luci is still the ball of energy and Dolly is Dolly LOL. They all went down this winter for brumation. Dolly has been off and on since September. Luci went down for a few weeks and Dexter went down for a week. I missed each of them more than I thought.

Stinks that you have the wooden enclosure that the roaches can climb. I just got over my fear of them. My girls don't like them but Luci will eat them. Then again Luci eats everything LOL!

Alaska Dragon

Bearded Dragon Egg
How is Precious???!!! I've missed her and Tequila.

The canned bugs are gross and weird. They are huge and in some sort of gel or coating or something. Dexter had won a free can one year and I opened it just to see what they were and I threw them away.

I have heard too many horror stories about the "canned bugs". Stay clear of them.

Latest posts