• Hello guest! Are you a Bearded Dragon enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Beardie enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your dragons and enclosures and have a great time with other Bearded Dragon enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can my roaches be “bad”?

Jessieriboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
My beardie has always been a normal/good eater. He was always excited about meals. I got a new shipment of roaches and he all of a sudden stopped eating. He went from 10+ roaches a day, to just a few, or none on some days. It’s been a few months of barely touching his food. I got some super worms and crickets and he scarfed them down. Is it possible that the batch of roaches I got taste bad to him?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
My beardie has always been a normal/good eater. He was always excited about meals. I got a new shipment of roaches and he all of a sudden stopped eating. He went from 10+ roaches a day, to just a few, or none on some days. It’s been a few months of barely touching his food. I got some super worms and crickets and he scarfed them down. Is it possible that the batch of roaches I got taste bad to him?
I dont know -- what size roaches are you feeding? And what are your roaches eating? they can get tired of them -- are you feeding salads? How old is the dragon ? Crickets are good for a staple but limit the super worms-- those should be fed as a treat every few days

Jessieriboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
I dont know -- what size roaches are you feeding? And what are your roaches eating? they can get tired of them -- are you feeding salads? How old is the dragon ? Crickets are good for a staple but limit the super worms-- those should be fed as a treat every few days
He is just about a year old. We offer salad every day, but he has only ever taken a nibble or so of it. The roaches we have are all different sizes (we ordered medium but they come assorted anyways). I make sure to pick through and get the ones that are appropriate for his size (distance of eyes). I tried some smaller ones to see if that would help, but it’s the same. I give the roaches the solid water and throw in an apple core every once in a while. I have never fed them before, because he used to go through them so quickly that I didn’t need to. We have had this batch for so long because he isn’t eating them, that I’m feeding the roaches now. Could it be the apples I’m feeding them?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
He is just about a year old. We offer salad every day, but he has only ever taken a nibble or so of it. The roaches we have are all different sizes (we ordered medium but they come assorted anyways). I make sure to pick through and get the ones that are appropriate for his size (distance of eyes). I tried some smaller ones to see if that would help, but it’s the same. I give the roaches the solid water and throw in an apple core every once in a while. I have never fed them before, because he used to go through them so quickly that I didn’t need to. We have had this batch for so long because he isn’t eating them, that I’m feeding the roaches now. Could it be the apples I’m feeding them?
You need to gut load those roaches -- I feed mine every nite or about every nite and roaches cannot drink solid water --- they need dubia dew or crystals -- your dragon is not getting enough water -- they get hydration from salads / greens those can be rinsed before serving carrots apple squash other fruits like oranges can all be fed to the roaches to hydrate and keep your dragon healthy - hes probably not eating them because they are not satisfying him --- I get dubia food and dubia dew from www.dubiaroaches.com --- I feed mine squash carrots oranges raw shredded sweet potato plus the food and dew -- I would get some BSFL or nutri grubs from dubia roaches and start topping the salads w/ those feed as many as you want to him they are a good salad lure and staple feeder order large they are small dont dust them they are calcium enriched -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html'
you will need a bowl similar to this to keep the BSFL / nutrigrubs in https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Your dragon needs salads every day use the nutri grubs to lure him to the bowl --- he needs a staple insect every day till hes a year old then he should be only getting them every 2-3 days but his main diet should be salads at that point w/ occasional treat worms like horn worm super worms meal worms wax worms fed very sparingly they are real fatty and too many can lead to liver issues --

Jessieriboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
You need to gut load those roaches -- I feed mine every nite or about every nite and roaches cannot drink solid water --- they need dubia dew or crystals -- your dragon is not getting enough water -- they get hydration from salads / greens those can be rinsed before serving carrots apple squash other fruits like oranges can all be fed to the roaches to hydrate and keep your dragon healthy - hes probably not eating them because they are not satisfying him --- I get dubia food and dubia dew from www.dubiaroaches.com --- I feed mine squash carrots oranges raw shredded sweet potato plus the food and dew -- I would get some BSFL or nutri grubs from dubia roaches and start topping the salads w/ those feed as many as you want to him they are a good salad lure and staple feeder order large they are small dont dust them they are calcium enriched -- here is a website for nutrition ignore the kale thing its a great staple feeder
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html'
you will need a bowl similar to this to keep the BSFL / nutrigrubs in https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Rept...uGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
Your dragon needs salads every day use the nutri grubs to lure him to the bowl --- he needs a staple insect every day till hes a year old then he should be only getting them every 2-3 days but his main diet should be salads at that point w/ occasional treat worms like horn worm super worms meal worms wax worms fed very sparingly they are real fatty and too many can lead to liver issues --
Thank you. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from dubiaroaches.com. I will try all of the above.

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Thank you. I just ordered a bunch of stuff from dubiaroaches.com. I will try all of the above.
Ok let me know how it goes- your lighting mainly the uvb how old is the bulb and are you using a coil or a long tube fixture?

Jessieriboli

Bearded Dragon Egg
Ok let me know how it goes- your lighting mainly the uvb how old is the bulb and are you using a coil or a long tube fixture?
We have a long bulb, inside the tank, but I don’t know how old it is. My husband is the one who does all of the tank stuff. I can ask him. How often does it need to be replaced?

Sadie

Bearded Dragon Veteran
3 Year Member
1,000+ Post Club
Look on that bulb itself and tell me brand and look for T 5 or T 8 they have different distance and expiration times- they do expire
We have a long bulb, inside the tank, but I don’t know how old it is. My husband is the one who does all of the tank stuff. I can ask him. How often does it need to be replaced?

Latest posts